The WW I Discharge Chevron

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Photo No. 26: A red discharge chevron on forest green woolen cloth was also available, but exactly when it became available is not known. The front and back of a forest green discharge chevron is shown at upper left. Below that is a red discharge chevron on olive drab sewn onto a forest green USMC winter field coat. In the center, this decorated Marine from the 5th Marine Regiment is wearing a discharge stripe USMC style. Likewise, the discharge chevron on the 3rd Brigade, 6th Marine Regiment USMC winter field coat on the right has also been sewn onto the lower, not the upper portion of the left sleeve.

post-5143-0-17227100-1402421362.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 27: Four of the five USMC winter field coats in this fine collection, feature red discharge chevrons placed low on the left sleeve. Underneath is a handful of USMC SSI comprised of, from left to right: 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 2nd Division; a variation of the 5th Marine Brigade; 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Division; and another 5th Marine Brigade

post-5143-0-09944300-1402421421.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 28: I’ve never seen a WW I U.S. Navy uniform with a discharge stripe sewn onto it. Nor have I seen a period photograph showing any U.S. Navy personnel wearing the red discharge stripe. Therefore, I’ve come to the conclusion that the red discharge stripe was not authorized for wear by Navy personnel.

Does anybody have any documentation to refute of back up this assertion?

post-5143-0-23196500-1402421473.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 29: Uncle Sam offered a number of services to the discharged Doughboys. Many of which were described in the pamphlet Where Do We Go From Here that was given out during the mustering out process. Later, each soldier also received what was called a Victory Lapel Button. The Victory Buttons came in two colors: silver for any soldier that had been wounded or gassed in combat and bronze for all the soldiers that served who were not wounded. The Victory Buttons were intended to be worn on the lapel of a civilian suit to honor the wearer’s service in the Great War.

post-5143-0-45433300-1402421521.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 30: Sergeant Ralph Cline (1895 – 1976), the subject of the painting that began this topic, enlisted in the Army just days after America declared war on Imperial Germany in April 1917. As part of the 7th Division he saw action in the St. Mihiel sector. Sergeant Cline settled in Maine after the war and on every Memorial Day, he faithfully donned his WW I uniform, which he habitually referred to as “A good piece of goods.” During WW II, Cline served with the Maine State Guard Reserves, a militia unit that was formed to replace Maine’s National Guard troops after they had been called into federal service. Later, both his son and grandson followed in his footsteps and served in the military.

The artist Andrew Wyeth first saw Cline at a Veteran’s Day parade and realized that Mr. Cline personified a proud and patriotic American. In fact, Wyeth described him as, “Absolutely the patriot. The American flag means everything to him. The kind of man that fought at Concord Bridge.” Sergeant Cline sat for the portrait that would later be known as The Patriot in 1964. It was featured in Life magazine and on television. Today it resides in a private collection. Sergeant Ralph Cline passed away in 1976 and was buried in the WW I uniform that he was so proud to have worn.

End of post. Thanks for looking …

post-5143-0-23697800-1402421574.jpg

The light braid on Alvin York's jacket looks to be officer's cuff braid. I know York was commissioned a Major in the Signal Corps in WW2, despite weighing almost 250 pounds and having diabetes. Is it possible York could have received a reserve commission after WW1? That would be my guess about the cuff braid.

world war I nerd

Its certainly in the right place for officer's cuff braid, but would he have worn a WW I service coat for his duties during WW II?

Also, what color was WW II officer's cuff braid?

Its certainly in the right place for officer's cuff braid, but would he have worn a WW I service coat for his duties during WW II?

Also, what color was WW II officer's cuff braid?

No, but I'm pretty sure he received his commission to Lt. sometime in 1919. Not sure if it was in the reserves or national guard. Looks like there are also Lt. bars on the shoulders in the photo you posted as well as officer devices on the collar. He was only Sergeant York for a little while.

world war I nerd

You're probably right about the officer's cuff braid. It's funny, given York's ideological background, I would have thought that he would have left the Army after the war. I know all about what he did during the war, but I had no idea that he was later commissioned as an officer.

While examining the photo, call me crazy or maybe I've been smoking the wrong kind of glue, but is there an enormous five pointed star beneath the officer's cuff braid???

It doesn't show up very well in the enlargement, but I've circled what I think is a five pointed star to me.

Am I the only one seeing stars? Does anyone else see the star?

If the answer is yes, any idea what it could mean?

If the answer is no, I'll be heading to the eye doctor tomorrow!

post-5143-0-98980500-1402473455.jpg

You're probably right about the officer's cuff braid. It's funny, given York's ideological background, I would have thought that he would have left the Army after the war. I know all about what he did during the war, but I had no idea that he was later commissioned as an officer.

While examining the photo, call me crazy or maybe I've been smoking the wrong kind of glue, but is there an enormous five pointed star beneath the officer's cuff braid???

It doesn't show up very well in the enlargement, but I've circled what I think is a five pointed star to me.

Am I the only one seeing stars? Does anyone else see the star?

If the answer is yes, any idea what it could mean?

If the answer is no, I'll be heading to the eye doctor tomorrow!

I too noticed what I thought was a star when I first saw this yesterday. I was all set to comment on it, but then decided it wasn't a star. While it certainly looks like a star, I think it's a perfect series of coincidental creases and lighting shadows.

By the way, nice job with this thread. It was very interesting and informative. I, for one, appreciate the time you put into it.

Kurt

VolunteerArmoury

It also must be worn by discharged officers who accept commissions in the officers reserve corps, until called to active duty.

Am I correct in understanding that if an officer had entered the ORC (Organised Reserve Corps) wore these chevrons on their uniform after they demobilized & until they remobilized/if? I saw a M1926 coat once for the 80th Division FA NCO that had a red discharge chevron along with his overseas stripes. Would that be by regulation for enlisted to wear it after having come off active duty? I don't think I saw that addressed anywhere.

world war I nerd

Hi Chad,

The way I interpreted this, is that any discharged officer, who wished to be included in the officer's reserve corps had to sew the red discharge chevron onto his service coat if he wore the service coat after the three month grace period, which began the day he was discharged from service, until such time that he was called back to active duty.

Attached is a scan of the page that contained that particular information.

Gold, silver or blue war service chevrons and gold wound chevrons would typically already be on the service coat at the time an officer or enlisted man was discharged. If the discharged soldier or officer opted to sew on the red discharge stripe onto his service coat ... then yes, the service coat would have a combination of service chevrons and the red discharge chevron.

Remember that a discharged soldier did not have to sew the red discharge chevron onto his service coat. However, if he wanted to lawfully wear the service coat for any reason, after the three month grace period, then he was required by law to sew on the red discharge chevron. This is why some WW I service coats have a red discharge chevron, and why some of then do not.

I hope that makes sense ...

post-5143-0-32822200-1402712807.jpg

world war I nerd

I ran across some additional information regarding how and to whom the Victory Buttons were issued. For more information on the Victory Buttons, please refer to post/photo number 29 in this post ... World War I Nerd

A lapel button to be known as the Victory Button, for wear on civilian clothes, will be issued to all officers, enlisted men, field clerks and members of the Army Nurse Corps who served on active duty in the Army of the United States at any time between April 6, 1917, and November 11, 1918, and whose service was honorable. The button will be silver for those wounded in action and bronze for all others.

For the present the Victory Button will be issued at time of honorable discharge to those entitled to it and to those who have already been honorably discharged. Later, the button will be issued to all remaining in service entitled to it.

Those who have been discharged before a supply of buttons was available for issue may secure a button by mailing to the supply officer of the nearest military post, camp or station, including a recruiting station, their original discharge certificate or a true copy thereof prepared on the form provided for the purpose.

Where Do We Go from Here: This is the Real Dope, 1919, William Brown Meloney, page 32

• 3 years later...
Wedgehead30

Thought I might add this to the discussion. As far as I know this tunic is all original. I've never run across two chevrons on the same tunic like this. I would love to know the reasoning behind it.

post-124172-0-15222700-1520610803.jpg

post-124172-0-07622800-1520610819.jpg

post-124172-0-27933500-1520610835_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Very cool, Wedgehead,

I've seen that done once before. The vast majority of Discharge Chevrons were sewn onto the service coats after the soldier had parted ways with the army.

Thus there was no higher authority around to tell them that they had sewn the chevron onto the wrong sleeve - or upside down - or in this case, too many chevrons had been sewn onto one sleeve.

It was probably just an error on the part of the person doing the sewing ... Still pretty neat though.

littlewilly

The double discharge chevron arrangement is seen once in a while on soldiers' coats. Some men reenlisted immediately upon their discharge only to be discharged again a few days later "at the convenience of the government" as force reductions to cut costs continued to downsize the post war Army. It appears that since the man was officially discharged twice he considered himself authorized the second chevron. I have a certificate in my collection (buried in a box somewhere) that shows a man's original discharge date followed by a second discharge date 6 days later. I have seen perhaps half a dozen uniforms over the years with the dual discharge stripe arrangement. I would bet that this was not a very common occurrence. MHJ

world war I nerd

Mike, Thanks for teaching me something else I did not know - discharged twice in a matter of days. Presumably there was a reenlistment between the two separate discharges?

littlewilly

Hi Brian:

Yes, I have made some notes of a few men with short reenlistments between discharges. The one I mentioned is the only one I have paperwork of. I would presume that there could be some as short as a day or two between the discharge, but I have not seen such mentioned anywhere. I would presume that the government was rather particular as to who they wanted to retain upon reenlistment; certain trades were probably more in demand that the combat arms post-Armistice. I have seen no official authorization for more than one chevron on the uniform. But they are indeed out there! MHJ