Normandy traffic....2014. (Pic heavy!)

Sabrejet

Great pictures Ian,

However, the overall feel of Normandy now seems to be less about the veterans and more about making money and the chance to dress up. The French even did a full scale reenactment of the assault on the Merville battery which i thought was a little bad taste and turned the whole thing into entertainment for the masses.

When all the veterans are gone i think the whole thing will turn into a reenactors wet dream.

Rich

Ian,

Those are some great photos and it is plain to see that it was a great event. It is small wonder that the allies were able to win the battle for Normandy since we had both the 3rd Infantry Division and the Flying Tigers helping us out! :lol:

Allan

For sure Allan. All that was missing was Gen. Custer's 7th Cavalry! :D

Great pictures Ian,

However, the overall feel of Normandy now seems to be less about the veterans and more about making money and the chance to dress up. The French even did a full scale reenactment of the assault on the Merville battery which i thought was a little bad taste and turned the whole thing into entertainment for the masses.

When all the veterans are gone i think the whole thing will turn into a reenactors wet dream.

Rich

Yes Rich. I started another thread on this very subject which you might have seen? There were more paratroopers on the streets than in the entire 101st /82nd divisions combined...or so it seemed! I even saw a whole family kitted out in airborne gear...mum, dad and their son...maybe a 10 year old?! :o

Back in the day, the only way you could bring out a German vehicle in public was to splash on some FFI markings.

One thing is for sure...the Normandy gas stations must have made a killing with all of that thirsty hardware on the road!

post-8022-0-31074100-1402406829.jpg

post-8022-0-99532100-1402406831.jpg

post-8022-0-47144000-1402406834.jpg