Normandy traffic....2014. (Pic heavy!)

Sabrejet

The roads of Normandy were awash with WW2 military vehicles last week. The lanes were full of little Jeeps buzzing hither and thither, and on the main roads, for every civilian Peugeot and Citroen there was a Dodge or a GMC or a Jeep etc. Myself, Ken (General Apathy), Douglas and John sat sipping Pelforth beer in the sun at the roadside in Ste Marie du Mont, just inland from Utah beach and watched the endless convoys of vehicles roll by. I snapped away and hopefully the attached pics will help convey what it was like. Great fun!

post-8022-0-86646600-1402392766.jpg

post-8022-0-69697400-1402392769.jpg

post-8022-0-32333300-1402392772.jpg

manayunkman

Great stuff thank you Ian.

Love the guy in #3 who is taking a picture of you as you take one of him.

What is the jeep with 6 wheels ?

Thank you Peter. There was a good deal of good-natured banter between us outside the bar and the occupants of the passing vehicles, which all had to slow down right opposite us because of a narrow junction. Re the six-wheeler, it was an experimental design which never went into full-scale production, so surviving prototypes are extremely rare. I suspect that the example you see there is a modern-made conversion of a regular Jeep, as per the video below.

Yes...there were quite a few vintage French vehicles decked out in FFI markings to be seen. I think I might have some more pics...I'll check my files.

You're welcome! Here's a not unfamiliar sight! Bear in mind that a lot of Jeeps in Europe are actually French licence-built Hotchkiss variants. They are obviously very similar to the US originals but have a few mechanical differences beneath the hood plus some detail differences which true "Jeepsters" can spot at 100 paces! :D

post-8022-0-35884000-1402403356.jpg

Ok...let's stick with the Jeep theme a while longer. There was a major "Jeep Meet" at the Normandy Tank Museum in Carentan where 200 Jeeps of all types assembled...it was quite a sight!

post-8022-0-27520800-1402403663.jpg

post-8022-0-44792200-1402403665.jpg