Airborne berets...now I know how it's done!

Sabrejet

Restricted vision?

Official%20Army%20photo%20of%20jeff%20in

His flash is actually over just a tad too far, which is why it is covering his eye so much

A well known personality demonstrates how British paras wear their berets...smaller and less exaggerated.

hrhpow_2para.jpg

I may be biased but I think the British way of wearing a beret looks better. The small beret isn't just specific to the Parachute Regiment but the Army has a whole.

Forget the way Charles is wearing his, the capbadge should be further over the left eye.

Para Reg have come under criticism recently for the current trend of pulling the beret forward like a flat cap and not to one side, however, the Regiment always likes to be different (para smocks and not forgetting the scrimmed up para helmet).

Rich

post-1878-0-64014100-1402515641.jpg

Yes..you're right Ron, but I don't think we went into the "technicalities" of how the distinctive look was actually achieved.

That's just too funny, Ian. :lol:

I also couldn't resist taking some pictures when I was in Sainte-Mère-Église last Sunday.

It is a matter of taste of course, but I think it looks ridiculous.

post-9199-0-30633800-1402525083.jpg

I prefer the small British berets by far!

I was curious about the 1964 Green Beret GI JOE figure (some online sources state 1965 or 1966 as the year it came out). No matter the actual year it came out I got this figure as a kindergarten graduation present in June 1967, and I do recall the unique appearance of the Beret, I looked online and found some great images.

post-34986-0-03111500-1402687181.jpgpost-34986-0-75192900-1402687209.jpg

As we see, it shows traits or some traits of the way the mid-sh 70s to todays Berets are worn, given that the Beret with the figure was based on actual Berets worn then, lets say 1965, it would seem that this pinching and pulling of the Beret started then, being done at least by some Green Berets of this period.

I was curious about the 1964 Green Beret GI JOE figure (some online sources state 1965 or 1966 as the year it came out). No matter the actual year it came out I got this figure as a kindergarten graduation present in June 1967, and I do recall the unique appearance of the Beret, I looked online and found some great images.

attachicon.gifGI JOE.jpgattachicon.gifphpXTr9RcAM.jpg

As we see, it shows traits or some traits of the way the mid-sh 70s to todays Berets are worn, given that the Beret with the figure was based on actual Berets worn then, lets say 1965, it would seem that this pinching and pulling of the Beret started then, being done at least by some Green Berets of this period.

Makes sense. The US Army tries not to mimic other countries uniforms as much as possible. I don't think we ever wore berets the way Brits do.

Makes sense. The US Army tries not to mimic other countries uniforms as much as possible. I don't think we ever wore berets the way Brits do.

Perhaps not, but you "inherited" the berets from us...maroon / red...Parachute Regiment / US Airborne....green...Royal Marine Commandos / USSF.

Perhaps not, but you "inherited" the berets from us...maroon / red...Parachute Regiment / US Airborne....green...Royal Marine Commandos / USSF.

Oh absolutely. I'm just thinking back to the days when they would yell at us for wearing them like brits haha. When people don't really know how to wear them (initially), many try to wear them without really shaping them, which gives them an odd look.

i.e (not terrible, but best example I could find quickly): 0614-army-beret_full_600.jpg

Vs the AR 670-1 Regulation (well, as it was. We got rid of the berets for normal soldier use now, I believe)

b1_1909.jpg

This Major General ( Richard Thomas) was at the private vets' awards ceremony in Normandy last week. Full dress blues..with a beret.

post-8022-0-97422200-1402693440.jpg

That's just too funny, Ian. :lol:

I also couldn't resist taking some pictures when I was in Sainte-Mère-Église last Sunday.

It is a matter of taste of course, but I think it looks ridiculous.

attachicon.gifP6080576.jpg

I prefer the small British berets by far!

I agree, Sjef, the silver-haired duper's beret is a little too much (pun intended). My Bn CSM would never have let that fly.

The beret is supposed to be worn with ASUs, we stopped wearing it with ACUs. To be honest, I pull the field grade card and wear my bus driver cap when I have to be in ASUs.

attachicon.gifGI JOE.jpgattachicon.gifphpXTr9RcAM.jpg

I really can't believe you are basing your opinion on a dolls plastic beret.

I was SF when that doll came out, and from memory, and checking hundreds of personal photos, and in Group yearbooks the beanie wasn't being worn that way.

Someone mentioned liking the smaller Brit berets, The regulation US Army Rifle Green Beret was smaller than the berets that came out years later when the Army went to the black beret.

Jeff Ashenfelter

We soaked our berets in BEER! This was tradition in our unit, using anything less would have been very leggy. Then we wore them until they were dry. Unless you earned the right to wear one regardless of the country you are from, degenerating the way some units wear their berets rings very hollow to me! Jeff

I really can't believe you are basing your opinion on a dolls plastic beret.

I was SF when that doll came out, and from memory, and checking hundreds of personal photos, and in Group yearbooks the beanie wasn't being worn that way.

Someone mentioned liking the smaller Brit berets, The regulation US Army Rifle Green Beret was smaller than the berets that came out years later when the Army went to the black beret.

I understand e this was just an observation, and a good one at that, granted it's crimping and pulled appearance is not as extreme as contemporary berets, I do feel there had to be some basis for designing the GI JOE beret in this manner back then, or else they wouldn't of made it crimped and stuff.

I say this half serious and half joinking, but maybe it was the boys a Hasbro who are the orignators of this style of wear of the beret, nah that's too far fetched or is it Ach Who Knows :lol: