Vietnam SF shirt & ERDL jacket

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

Here are two Vietnam shirts I picked up at the flea market today. The 5 Special Forces shirt I'm sure is original, but I'm skeptical about the modified ERDL. Still, the prices were good.post-134998-0-19513800-1402275597.jpgpost-134998-0-80925900-1402275763.jpg

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

woof, that thing has all kinds of w t f ?(what the freak) going on here, but to be honest i kinda like this monster.

I went through Sniper school about 25 years ago (Army). We wore shooting jackets specially padded at the shoulder and elbows (we also shot while wearing specially padded gloves ... all this to minimize the effect of the heart beat while trying to get a clear look through the scope).

That camo jacket looks as though its padded similarly. This is an old photo of me wearing my shooting jacket. I'm sorry that the photo isn't very clear. The darker patch on my right shoulder/upper right chest is padded.

Just a thought ...

post-152877-0-71446300-1402285202.jpg

Hi,

I have a shirt that may relate to your Erskine fatigue shirt - mine is a 1st pattern jungle jacket, again with Major's cluster, medical collar, jump wings and combat medic badge, with 196 Inf Brigade patch (shadow of SF patch below) and the SF patch moved over to the combat (right) sleeve. Got it about 15 years ago from a French dealer two was trading at the London militaria market. The shadow of the two insignia above the Army tape matches the insignia on mine. I'm not home for a couple of weeks and will try to dig out a picture to post.

Great camo shirt BTW.

cheers,

P

FT.Monmouth1943

I have an early m-1950 field jacket with color insignia for a special forces Lt Erskine that I purchased off ebay about 10 years ago. I wonder if this was his shirt from later in his career? Its posted here in post #7

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10503-m65-field-jacket/

Based on the research I did, I would assume that the shirts are from the same Erskine, the one in my possession being later in his career as a Quartermaster.

FT.Monmouth1943

Hi,

I have a shirt that may relate to your Erskine fatigue shirt - mine is a 1st pattern jungle jacket, again with Major's cluster, medical collar, jump wings and combat medic badge, with 196 Inf Brigade patch (shadow of SF patch below) and the SF patch moved over to the combat (right) sleeve. Got it about 15 years ago from a French dealer two was trading at the London militaria market. The shadow of the two insignia above the Army tape matches the insignia on mine. I'm not home for a couple of weeks and will try to dig out a picture to post.

Great camo shirt BTW.

cheers,

P

I can't wait to see the jacket. Here's a photo of John Erskine in 1st pattern jungle fatigues.

TrenchfootJoe66

That ERDL is definitely some sort of modded up shooting jacket. Never seen one like that though. Really cool stuff. It may or may not be a Vietnam era modification but nobody would go to that much effort without a good reason. Those jackets kicked around the US military well into the 80's.

post-4733-0-47502800-1402763808.jpgHi FT,

here is my Erskine jacket - name tape is VN made, Army tape is OD Bevo-weave. There are shadow stitch marks under the medical insignia that suggest an oblong box patch was once there, maybe SF crossed arrows. Stitch marks from where Captain rank was upgraded to Major. The SF patch has switched shoulders, leaving faint shadow below 196th Inf patch.

Cheers,

P.

attachicon.giferskine.jpgHi FT,

here is my Erskine jacket - name tape is VN made, Army tape is OD Bevo-weave. There are shadow stitch marks under the medical insignia that suggest an oblong box patch was once there, maybe SF crossed arrows. Stitch marks from where Captain rank was upgraded to Major. The SF patch has switched shoulders, leaving faint shadow below 196th Inf patch.

Cheers,

P.

SF was not a branch back then, so crossed arrows were highly unlikely. What is odd (to me) about is the full color SF SSI being worn with all all subdued insignia including current unit SSI on the left sleeve..

• 4 months later...

Never say never on mixed insignia though. Oblong patch may have been infantry or cav mos from previous owner.

Pluto, are you able to post pics of the inside of the jacket where the insignia is?