Reproduction A-2, Patches by Johnny Signor

skypilot6670

skypilot6670

The bomb name tag, 8th Fighter Squadron Black Sheep and P-38 are the work of Johnny Signor. The 5th Airforce and 9th Fighter Squadron are patches. The leather patches are copies Johnny did of my father's. The P-38 was Johnny's creation. I apologize for the i-Phone photos, but they are the best I could get at the time. Extremely pleased with the way the jacket turned out.

post-137056-0-05299300-1402180841.jpg

post-137056-0-70665200-1402180841.jpg

post-137056-0-44941500-1402180842.jpg

post-137056-0-20774200-1402180843.jpg

post-137056-0-56681900-1402180844.jpg

post-137056-0-22670500-1402180890.jpg

Johnny Signor

Hey Mike, thanks for posting the photos of the patches before/after , looks great on the jacket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Johnny Signor

fstop61 , thanks for the compliment, 30 years at and still loving doing the patches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

willysmb44

Good job on the painting, but what's the story on the leather patch with the P-38 on it? Is that based on an original one somewhere?

Been handling and reading about A-2s for more than 20 years and never saw an original one done like that.

Johnny Signor

No , it's not a "specific" P-38 , he just wanted an OD P-38 as his relative flew them in the unit and they were OD at the time ..................

No , it's not a "specific" P-38 , he just wanted an OD P-38 as his relative flew them in the unit and they were OD at the time ..................

No, I mean it being painted on a patch at all, as opposed to directly to the jacket...

Johnny Signor

Well he wanted a patch , I could have painted it on , but the subject never came up , I have seen a few jackets here/there done with a patch on them , both during WW2 and recently , don't have the reference for them , but have seen some ...............................

I don't see the big deal about it , it looks good and he's happy with it , that's what really matters ................................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! Those patches are great! I had a gentleman paint one for me of the 341st Bomb Squadron (see profile avatar) Do you paint any 'nose art' on the back of A2 flight jackets? If you do, I need to see some of that!

Ken

Johnny Signor

Yeah , doinworkinvans has posted one I did on this same topic forum ...............

Please note that I don't do nudes of that sort , also no guarantees on the jacket art .

• 3 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Just finished up 11 patches of the 120th Fighter Squadron , going to their unit shortly , another 11 + on order after they receive first batch , will post photos of them when I get the roll of film finished up .

Johnny Signor

Working on a 403rd Bombardment Squadron "Mareeba Butchers" and a 43rd Bombardment Group patch , a USS Drum, will post those as time permits ..............

Johnny Signor

Above three patches finished and on their way to customers, working on a 323rd Bombardment Group and a 453rd Bombardment Squadron presently , will also post photos when I get the chance

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Please note the above "photobucket" link can be reached by typing the site link on your search bar then clicking the link ................

USMF changed the posting rules unbeknownst to me so please check out the link , it's worth the while !

Johnny Signor

Working on 5 -463rd Fighter Squadron patches and just finished a Missile Anniversary patch , will post them asap on the link

• 1 month later...