Need help identifing this ribbon on a WW2 9th AF pilot's bar

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

I have a grouping from a 36FG pilot in the 9th AF. Bar is British made and has a ribbon I don't recognize. I have his paperwork and the only foreign decoration I see is the Belgium Fourragere. What is it? I recognize the other five ribbons: DFC, AM, etc.

post-1848-0-60131400-1402168401.jpg

post-1848-0-04082900-1402168419.jpg

post-1848-0-68926900-1402168429.jpg

Steve Brannan

Yes it does look the WWI British War Medal. He was not in British service during WWI. He wasn't that old. Maybe the bar was made up incorrectly by mistake??

Steve Brannan

I don't think he was Eagle Squadron but will do a little more checking to be sure. Thanks for the idea.

Steve Brannan

His name was Reese Forney Jr. According to his discharge he entered Active Duty 20 May 1942 and was discharged 17 October 1946 as a Major. Served in England April 1944-March 1945. Earned DFC, AM with 8 oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Unit Badge, EAME theater ribbon with 3 stars, American Theater, American Defense Service Medal, WWII Victory, Belgium Fouraguerre. Combat time 163:45 with 58 missions, But no Eagle Squadron. Any other explanation for British War Medal???

Hello, it is a ribbon of the British War Medal WW1.

It is worn by mistake and the place in the set is also wrong.

Regards

Herman

Maybe he decided that he rated it for service in Great Britain. GI's, officer and enlisted, sometimes awarded medals to themselves.

End date for qualifying for the BWM WW1 was somewhere in 1919 - 1920.

Question: He entered military service 20 May 1942. How can it be that he qualified for the American Defense Service Medal? Perhaps prior National Guard service?

Regards

Herman

Steve Brannan

I have his discharge and the only foreign award was the Belgium Fourragere. I did see where he received his pilot's license in 1940 and he was older (born 1919) so maybe he did serve with the British early in the War. He was eventually due three battle stars on his European theater ribbon and this one only has 2 so it must have been made for him during the war. I checked the Eagle Squadron roster and he was not there. Probably just a mistake. Also notice that it is the 1/2 inch size usually worn only by the Navy/MC but sometimes I see Army guys wearing these ribbons.