WWII 4 Infantry "white" patch

respectingthesacrifice

respectingthesacrifice

I have found this photo in Jonathan Gawne's book "Spearheading D-Day: American Special Units, 6 June, 1944" (excellent book by the way) showing a GI from 4th Infantry division in Normandy beginning of June 1944. His patch seems "white".

I have read in many places that "white" or "clear" 4 ID patches are from 1956 or so.

I will attach below one of the patch in my collection that I call "white". Is it the same one than on the photo below?

Thanks for your comments

Eric

post-152914-0-74551100-1402168569.png

Looks similar but I believe the one you posted was used for a small time in the 50s, which believes me to believe that the one in the picture may be theater made maybe wool

We can be sure about one thing, and that is that the patch you have shown was NOT worn during WWII.

The patch you have shown was first authorized in 1958.

WWII era US made versions of the 4th exist (and are somewhat common) on khaki twill. If I had to bet, that's what I would say this NCO is wearing on his field jacket. That would be more likely than a theater made patch, but that's also possible.

-Vance

KidKuparuk

It's possible, too, that the apparent lightness of the patch worn by thr GI is due to the color response characteristics of the black and white film in use. Dave and Steve Johnson wrote a piece about wierd responses to color of earlier types of b/w film (Trading Post Apr-Jun 2001, p 11-12). Their illustrated example was from the 1920s, and showed a 1st Cav patch with the yellow very dark.

We talked about this particular patch on this IVY Div Medic before, it was guessed as either being a English made one where the so called Coffee background is apparent, or as abt stated, a U.S. made one where a light or pale OD is used.

Why is this medic wearing a standard staff sergeant chevron? I though all medics were technician grade?

They were of all EM Grades Gap, you will see even the Medical Detachments of an Infantry Regiment had as their senior NCO a Techinical Sergeant. Over in the Divisional Medical Battalions, you will see 1st Sergeants in the Companies, these guys would also be trained medics I'm sure, just guys who either been in a long time and achived high rank or newer guys who were on the ball and made rank alittle faster because of the war.

• 1 month later...

We talked about this particular patch on this IVY Div Medic before, it was guessed as either being a English made one where the so called Coffee background is apparent, or as abt stated, a U.S. made one where a light or pale OD is used.

I think you are right. I have such a patch sewn onto a tanker's jacket. Will make a picture tomorrow.