USAF Enlisted Hat Badge - how old?

Marksman

Got this USAF Enlistet Hat Badge - it has no makersmark on it

Maybe someone here knows the period and the maker of this hat badge.

post-54820-0-45758300-1402127777.jpg

It could be anywhere from the late 40's to the early 90's. Millions of these things were produced.

Bob Hudson

Does that have traces of a gold finish on the front? If so, it's one of the very first cap badges used after the USAF was created in the 1947. If not gold-toned, then it's darn near impossible to date other than "after October 1952."

Thanks all - yes I thought that would be hatd to date them - thanks for trying it!

No the badge has only the remains of some kind of coating on the front - which apeers to be golden (maybe thru aging)

As mentioned, near imposible to tell, only those really with manufacturer hallmark codes would it be possible to narrow a time period down.

As my own personal question for other members, where these Silver EM AF cap devices and by extension the collar discs ever come Sterling back in the 50s-60s?

As my own personal question for other members, where these Silver EM AF cap devices and by extension the collar discs ever come Sterling back in the 50s-60s?

I've seen hundreds of these hat and collar badges over the years and don't recall ever having seen any marked as sterling. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but the regulation finish was supposed to be "oxidized silver", so why bother making them out of sterling?

I've seen hundreds of these hat and collar badges over the years and don't recall ever having seen any marked as sterling. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but the regulation finish was supposed to be "oxidized silver", so why bother making them out of sterling?

Thank You Lee for your first hand knowledge.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but you just forced me to check my own. My own issue hat device from basic training in December 1977 doesn't have any markings on the back. So, at least we know one instance of how late this insignia was issued. Interesting thing about this device. When the coating came off, it became pretty shiny, anyway.