Reply to Chuck Locke re Leo Laverdure

Linda Schmidt

Linda Schmidt

Ran across post today dated 3/2013 asking for info on Leo Laverdure who suffered spinal injury at StLo. As a young nurse in the 70s I cared for Leo in his hometown of Clinton, MA. He was a paraplegic, wounded on D-Day. He had two brothers, Francis and Vern, both also veterans I believe. His sister told me that after being wounded he eventually transferred to a hospital in Washington, DC. He was very ill and she and Mom travelled to DC to be with him. She said they passed his bed several times, not recognizing him because he looked so bad. With the help of a Congressman who was also a native of Clinton, MA they were able to have Leo transferred to Fort Devens hospital and "made a nuisance of themselves" to see that he got the best of care. He did recover tho was confined to a wheelchair. He went on to live a full life. He drove a specially equipped van which was always full of his many nieces and nephews who adored him. He never married but never lacked for female companionship since he was very handsome and witty. When I cared for him he had suffered a stroke which paralyzed his left arm but at 66 years old he could lift his body off the bed with only his right arm. He was an inspiration to me. He never complained, never spent a minute feeling sorry for himself. He had a joke or a secret or a compliment for everyone he came in contact with. He died peacefully in March 1979. I honor the memory of this wonderful man not just today but every day.

Ran across post today dated 3/2013 asking for info on Leo Laverdure who suffered spinal injury at StLo. As a young nurse in the 70s I cared for Leo in his hometown of Clinton, MA. He was a paraplegic, wounded on D-Day. He had two brothers, Francis and Vern, both also veterans I believe. His sister told me that after being wounded he eventually transferred to a hospital in Washington, DC. He was very ill and she and Mom travelled to DC to be with him. She said they passed his bed several times, not recognizing him because he looked so bad. With the help of a Congressman who was also a native of Clinton, MA they were able to have Leo transferred to Fort Devens hospital and "made a nuisance of themselves" to see that he got the best of care. He did recover tho was confined to a wheelchair. He went on to live a full life. He drove a specially equipped van which was always full of his many nieces and nephews who adored him. He never married but never lacked for female companionship since he was very handsome and witty. When I cared for him he had suffered a stroke which paralyzed his left arm but at 66 years old he could lift his body off the bed with only his right arm. He was an inspiration to me. He never complained, never spent a minute feeling sorry for himself. He had a joke or a secret or a compliment for everyone he came in contact with. He died peacefully in March 1979. I honor the memory of this wonderful man not just today but every day.

Thanks for this post in memory of Leo Laverdure. RIP.

• 8 months later...

I just ran across this. I asked if there was any info of Leo being in the 29th I'D. I didn't know Leo but did know his brother. He was in the 4th Marines in the Pacific. He has since passed. He mentioned that Leo not once complained about his injuries or his service. Linda are you any relation to the Scmidt' s who lived in Lancaster.

Chuck Locke, Sterling.