Handmade Wood Toy Airplanes!

siege1863

These planes came with the purchase of the handmade machine gun posted earlier. There are several pieces in a box and all are interchangable. With some of the pieces I was able to make the P-38 Lightning and a four-engine bomber. Note that it is even fitted with a ball turret! All pieces are held together with dowels or are slip-fit. Included in the box is an extra fusalage, tail section, two engines/cowlings, and another turret. By swapping the pieces, it would be possible to assemble another two-engine fighter. Unfortunately, two blades are broken off the propellers. Since they were fashioned out of peg board, I may try to make some replacements.

As mentioned in the post about the machine gun, I was able to get from the seller the name of the boy who owned the planes, the name of his father who made them, and when he got them (1942-1943).

post-211-1212935828.jpg

brandon_rss18

Those are really cool, I remember groing up when I was little my family didnt have very much money and my grandpa would always make me toys, I still have a box full of handmade lincoln logs that he gave me one Christmas, I miss him crying.gif Nice find!

The Meatcan

great items in astonishingly fine condition given their age and the fact that they are toys. Must have a blast playing with them!