Naval Advisory Group Viet Nam with an angle

I have several of these patches in my collection this one came in the mail today along with the rest of this sailors medals ribbon bars and two pieces of ID

I have never seen a triangle sewn into one of these before! Does anyone know the significance? Service in a particular Delta? his drivers license has him stationed at "North Delta Advisory Element Ben Luc". the beer can was also with the group I don't see any other association with the Brown Water Navy though!

post-582-0-85452800-1402091480.jpg

Bearmon,

I have had a pile of these and never had one with the symbol for Delta sewn on it. I don't know what it is for, but it sure is a cool variant. congrats on your new grouping! I hope someone has an ID for the patch.

Mitch

firefighter

Very nice group.I wonder if he was part of the turning over stuff to the South Vietnam Navy? I think 1972 was around that time.

Bill Scott

I wonder if its has something to do with a Decca Navigation System.It uses low frequency sound waves to pin point location by triangulation.What ever it is its one neat variation. But my thoughts are navigation of some style just my two cents worth.Scotty

Thanks all, the sailor had an interesting career he was an Electricians Mate, Antarctica with a bronze device (wintered over), NAM with a V device, Bronze star,(have the medal with his name on the box looks like he never put the ribbon on his rack, late award?) Expert in both rifle and pistol.... 5 Viet Nam Service awards and a Vietnam staff service medal.. it looks like he retired after 20 and never made CPO

post-582-0-33346400-1402147923.jpg

Steve Brannan

The Beer Can looks like it has a PBR on it. By 1972, all the PBRs had been turned over to the VNN. He must have been an American advisor to the VNN PBR force.

Steve Brannan

1. Ben Luc District

2. Bến Lức is a rural district of Long An Province in the Mekong Delta region of Vietnam.

Ben Luc is just south of Saigon.

Salvage Sailor

The Beer Can looks like it has a PBR on it. By 1972, all the PBRs had been turned over to the VNN. He must have been an American advisor to the VNN PBR force.

See post No. 30 on this topic for info on ACTOV circa 1971-1972

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197309-navsuppact-saigon-1971-welcome-to-vietnam/

USS Staten Island did Antarctica Service in the early 60's

post-582-0-87668700-1402173081.jpg

The IF it Can Be Done is the motto for the USS Staten Island

post-582-0-83661400-1402173212.jpg

Staff Medal

post-582-0-95398800-1402173342.jpg

There 60 pieces I all several other medals Bronze Star NAM, VN service, Expert pistol and two pieces of paper id'ing the sailor!

Maybe this should be moved to the Groupings threads