MOH / DSC commemorative medal?

Art

I just bought this and have no real idea what it is. I just thought it looked nice & was worth investigating.

There is nothing on the back or rim of it.

It's odd to have the Medal of Honor & the DSC rosette / ribbon on it (they are both enameled & are cast into the face of this medallion).

I thought maybe it's something that was made up for a receipient of those 2 medals, perhaps a local, town or association type thing? But I really have no clue.

The seller said he bought it at a Chesterville Maryland estate sale & that was all he knew about it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

johnnyrocket

Is this a ribbon, medallion or a medal? Can you post an image of the item in question?

Johnny R.

johnnyrocket

Could be some kind of a commemorative coin also—but as far as the rarity of the item...I wouldn't bet the farm on it Art.

Johnny R.

I can't believe I forgot to post the picture! Sorry about that.

Size is about 1.5" x 1.5" & maybe 1/16" thick

johnnyrocket

I can't believe I forgot to post the picture! Sorry about that.

Well—now this is interesting. Good find Art ...never seen on like this.

Very impressive— a very nice design too.

Johnny R. :)

johnnyrocket

I must say I've never seen anything like it.

Just ran a quick "Google Image" search of this, and nothing even remotely poped up.

Johnny R.

manayunkman

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a 1930's era piece.

It could be a fob but also might be some kind of veteran or association medal.

Is there no maker name of any kind on the back ?

This not the type of item a maker would leave unmarked.

That said being unmarked is not a red flag.

The purpose of this fob had something to do with the recipient of these two awards.

A very attractive piece and super condition as well.

johnnyrocket

Lets have some research fun. There can't be to many recipients of the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service cross during that period.

OK, having said that...lets see who can find that person first.

Johnny R.

johnnyrocket

The one that came to mind first was Audie Murphy.

johnnyrocket

Well—there are more than I originally thought:

Site Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Service_Cross_(United_States)

A handful, mostly aviators, were decorated three or more times. Eddie Rickenbacker, the top U.S. ace of the war, was awarded a record ten Distinguished Service Crosses, one of which was later upgraded to the Medal of Honor, while flying with the 94th Aero Squadron. Fellow aviators Douglas Campbell, also of the 94th, and Frank O'Driscoll "Monk" Hunter of the 103rd Aero Squadron each received five. Another 94th aviator, Reed McKinley Chambers, was awarded four Distinguished Service Crosses. Three aviators received three Distinguished Service Crosses—Murray K. Guthrie of the 13th Aero Squadron, Ralph A. O'Neill of the 147th Aero Squadron, and Glen A. Preston, an aerial observation pilot with the 99th Aero Squadron. Among other prominent aviators were Billy Mitchell, the Chief of Air Service of the American Expeditionary Force; Frank Luke of the 27th Aero Squadron, who was honored with the Medal of Honor and two Distinguished Service Crosses; and Sumner Sewall of the 95th Aero Squadron, recipient of two Distinguished Service Crosses, who served as Governor of Maine from 1941 to 1945. Edward Peck Curtis, also of the 95th Aero Squadron received the Distinguished Service Cross as a First Lieutenant.

Colonel John H. Parker, the commander of the 102nd Infantry Regiment, 26th Division, was the only ground soldier in World War I to receive four Distinguished Service Crosses. First Lieutenant Oscar B. Nelson of the 168th Infantry Regiment, 42nd Division, was honored three times, the third award being posthumous.

Several men who had previously received the Medal of Honor received the Distinguished Service Cross in World War I. Most notable of these was Marine legend Daniel Daly, who was twice decorated with the Medal of Honor, and who received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism as First Sergeant of the 73rd Company, Sixth Marine Regiment, during the Battle of Belleau Wood in June 1918. Col. Charles Evans Kilbourne, Jr., who received the Medal of Honor in the Philippine Insurrection, was decorated with the Distinguished Service Cross as chief of staff of the 89th Division. James B. McConnell, also decorated with the Medal of Honor for actions in the Philippines as a private with the 33rd Infantry, received the Distinguished Service Cross posthumously as a first lieutenant with the 4th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division.

Marine Colonel Hiram I. Bearss, recipient of the Medal of Honor in the Philippines, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross while attached to the 102nd Infantry Regiment, 26th Division. Marine Gunner Henry L. Hulbert, also a recipient of the Navy Medal of Honor in the Philippines, received the Distinguished Service Cross for bravery while serving with the Fifth Marine Regiment during the Battle of Belleau Wood. Spanish-American War Medal of Honor recipient John H. Quick also received the Distinguished Service Cross at Belleau Wood as Sergeant Major of the Sixth Marine Regiment.

Besides Eddie Rickenbacker, several men received both the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross during World War I. Navy recipients wereJohn Henry Balch, a U.S. Navy Pharmacist's Mate, and Joel T. Boone, a U.S. Navy Lieutenant (Medical Corps), both attached to the Sixth Marine Regiment. Army recipients were Private Daniel R. Edwards of the 3rd Machine-Gun Battalion, 1st Division, Colonel William J. "Wild Bill" Donovan of the 165th Infantry Regiment, 42nd Division, and Second Lieutenant Samuel I. Parker of the 28th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division.

Two recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross during World War I went on to earn the Medal of Honor in World War II – Major (later Brigadier General)Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. of the 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division, son of the former President, and Brigadier General (later General of the Army) Douglas MacArthur of the 42nd Division. Other recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross in World War I who went on to acclaim in World War II include George S. Patton, Jr. and Carl Spaatz.

johnnyrocket

If there were some provenance on this item—this could be worth something.

Johnny R.

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't see anything at all on the back.

I hadn't thought of watch fob & that could very well be what this is.

I'll ask the seller again if he remembers when the estate sell was & whose sale it was.

johnnyrocket

Well, well...from the research, there would be approximately 5—10 people this item could possibly have belonged to. I did not go through everyone who had received both honors (of being recipients of both the MoH and the DSC), so I don't know the exact count as to the number of people.

I don't think this would have been manufactured on a mass scale having the two awards together would not make any sense, except for a double recipient(s).

It could possibly have been a one-of-a-kind item made by a jeweler for a specific person. This would explain why there are no manufacturing hallmarks on the piece.

—which would make it even more interesting to find out its origins.

Johnny R.

It's a Legion of Valor reunion piece. I've seen several, but none ever had ribbons. Of course ribbons of the period were generally cheap and this was meant to a one-time item, so the absence of a ribbon shouldn't be a great shock.

I believe that's what it is. Many thanks for the help & research guys!

I sent Kevin Beyer a PM so he can look at this medal & give his opinion on date, etc.

johnnyrocket

That's what we are here for, it's been fun Art. Nice find by the way on that Legion of Valor medal.