A-25A USAAF Shrike Dive Bomber Ammo Boxes

Wedgehead30

Wedgehead30

Yesterday was a slow day so I decided to head up to the local auction house and see what was going on. In a true case of the blind squirrel finding a nut, I ran across these two little fellas sitting on the back table. I was on pins and needles waiting for them to come up on the block. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was the only person remotely interested in them. Truly a case of right time, right place.

The Shrike was a pretty rare bird. From Wiki:

Army service

Built at Curtiss' St. Louis plant, 900 aircraft were ordered by the USAAF under the designation A-25A Shrike. The first ten aircraft had folding wings, while the remainder of the production order omitted this unnecessary feature. Many other changes distinguished the A-25A, including larger main wheels, a pneumatic tailwheel, ring and bead gunsight, longer exhaust stubs, and other Army-specified radio equipment. By late 1943, when the A-25A was being introduced, the USAAF no longer had a role for the dive bomber, as fighter aircraft such as the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt had shown their ability to carry out tactical air support missions with great success.

After offering the Shrike to Australia, only ten were accepted before the Royal Australian Air Force rejected the remainder of the order, forcing the USAAF to send 410 to theU.S. Marines. The A-25As were converted to the SB2C-1 standard, but the Marine SB2C-1 variant never saw combat, being used primarily as trainers. The remaining A-25As were similarly employed as trainers and target tugs.

post-124172-0-67364200-1402085016.jpg

post-124172-0-77300500-1402085018.jpg

Johnny Signor

Weren't they used mostly as tow target aircraft by the AAF , I've seen a print of one in AAF O.D. that was used by a WASP Tow Target unit .................

Wedgehead30

Weren't they used mostly as tow target aircraft by the AAF , I've seen a print of one in AAF O.D. that was used by a WASP Tow Target unit .................

Yes, I believe so.

• 2 years later...
Helldiver son

Yesterday was a slow day so I decided to head up to the local auction house and see what was going on. In a true case of the blind squirrel finding a nut, I ran across these two little fellas sitting on the back table. I was on pins and needles waiting for them to come up on the block. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was the only person remotely interested in them. Truly a case of right time, right place.

The Shrike was a pretty rare bird. From Wiki:

Army service

Built at Curtiss' St. Louis plant, 900 aircraft were ordered by the USAAF under the designation A-25A Shrike. The first ten aircraft had folding wings, while the remainder of the production order omitted this unnecessary feature. Many other changes distinguished the A-25A, including larger main wheels, a pneumatic tailwheel, ring and bead gunsight, longer exhaust stubs, and other Army-specified radio equipment. By late 1943, when the A-25A was being introduced, the USAAF no longer had a role for the dive bomber, as fighter aircraft such as the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt had shown their ability to carry out tactical air support missions with great success.

After offering the Shrike to Australia, only ten were accepted before the Royal Australian Air Force rejected the remainder of the order, forcing the USAAF to send 410 to theU.S. Marines. The A-25As were converted to the SB2C-1 standard, but the Marine SB2C-1 variant never saw combat, being used primarily as trainers. The remaining A-25As were similarly employed as trainers and target tugs.

That is not correct that the Marine Corps SB2C never saw combat. My father was USMC stationed in Engebi and his Alibaba squadron and other Marine Squadrons flew SB2C Helldivers in combat runs and a number including my father were shot up. Some made it back, many did not.

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

That is not correct that the Marine Corps SB2C never saw combat. My father was USMC stationed in Engebi and his Alibaba squadron and other Marine Squadrons flew SB2C Helldivers in combat runs and a number including my father were shot up. Some made it back, many did not.

I think what he was saying is that the SB2C-1 never saw combat. The SB2C-3,4 and 5 variants did.