Old Propeller... WWI, WWII?

USdog

Found this propeller at a yard sale. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what era this is from and what plane it is off of?

It is over 80 inches long.

There are a few markings...

N2456

AVIAN 75

Thanks for the help...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I have a smilar Hartzell prop and it dates from the 1920's 1930's. This could be either military or civilian. Maybe some prop collectors will see this & come up with more complete info. It's a nice looking prop & would look good in any aviation display.

Thanks for the comments guys.... Hopefully it's military, but if not, then that's ok too :) I'll be really happy if it can be identified what plane it's off of. Glad to know it may be around 20's or 30's :)

Littlebuddy- that is exactly what it's for lol

manayunkman

Looks 20-30's and has been refinished at some point.

On the east Coast these old props were given away as part of the War Bonds effort.

Many of them were for training aircraft

Maybe an Avro Avian with the 75hp Cirrus II engine?

You might be right! Here's a pic of Avro Avian prop....

Posted Image

Bob Hudson

You might be right! Here's a pic of Avro Avian prop....

In doing some more reading I did discover that the Avro 616 Avian IVM (first made 1929) used a 75 kw (100 hp) engine. I know from having recently sold a WWI Jenny prop that they sometimes were marked for specific engine and aircraft. I found another site which said the Avians had an 80-inch 8-hole prop.

Bob,

Thanks so much. I think you've nailed it! Great knowing what plane exactly it came from. BTW-do you know the dates of manufacture for the Avro 616 Avian IVM?

Bob Hudson

Bob,

Thanks so much. I think you've nailed it! Great knowing what plane exactly it came from. BTW-do you know the dates of manufacture for the Avro 616 Avian IVM?

It looks like 1929-1930. Several ended up in Canada used by the RCAF and later by flying clubs, so if this is an Avian prop, that might explain why it ended up in the northern USA.

Due to their size, they can be a tough sell. I would guess in the $150 - $250 range. I actually had a WW2 B-26 blade listed on ebay recently for $950, and didn't get any takers. I have a B-25 blade that I picked up a few years back for $200. Prices can be all over the place on these.

JD

Bob Hudson

Btw-any idea of the value of this?

If it was ID'ed to a popular US aircraft (even something civilian such as a Piper Cub) or had a manufacturer's name on it it could be $400-500 or more, but as is, I think the $150-250 estimated is probably in the ballpark.

It looks like an N number N2456 is stamped on the prop. If so this could be of interest.

I find myself unable to cut and paste the URL but a Google search for N2456 + airplane will turn this up.

post-8488-0-82976100-1402154586.jpg

Bob Hudson

It looks like an N number N2456 is stamped on the prop. If so this could be of interest.

I find myself unable to cut and paste the URL but a Google search for N2456 + airplane will turn this up.

Could be.....

The Curtiss Oriole had an OX-5 engine, same as the Jenny and the Jenny prop was about 98 inches - the subject one is 96 inches, much longer than the 80 inch prop one site says was used on Avians.