158th RCT Bushmaster's Patches

rd12

• 2 years later...

I haven't added a new patch to my collection in awhile, but I was fortunate to fins a new variation at SOS this year.

158.jpg

37 minutes ago, rd12 said:

I haven't added a new patch to my collection in awhile, but I was fortunate to fins a new variation at SOS this year.

158.jpg

Intresting, I came across a nearly identical one a year ago but an expert on these patches was skeptical of it. I’m curious to know what others opinion is of this one.

image.jpeg.e5b28e7f0cf1e4373c01a29a93c196f9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ray42 said:

Intresting, I came across a nearly identical one a year ago but an expert on these patches was skeptical of it. I’m curious to know what others opinion is of this one.

image.jpeg.e5b28e7f0cf1e4373c01a29a93c196f9.jpeg

There were different tailors/seamstresses in Japan w/ diff skill levels. This lasted thru the KW. I see no probs w/ either of the two most recent posts. Like other JM patches of the time frame, some are made more skillfully than others, and are more pleasing to look at.

The patch admittedly is not the "norm" for 158th patches and doesn't match any others in my collection. Being able to examine it in hand sold me on it.

Well I’m glad to finally know it’s a good patch, I may have to go back and see if it is still there. I was just able to add this interesting colored example.

image.jpg

Ray42, that is a neat variation. I believe I've seen it before, it came from the same collection that some of mine are from.

Nice addition, one of a kind for sure.

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting one, this is a morale patch made in Afghanistan. 1-158th IN (AZNG) deployed to Afghanistan in 2018 and this was made on that tour.

2018.jpg

This is a "morale" patch because it is no longer the approved SSI of the 158th Infantry. 1st BN, 158th IN is now part of the 29th Infantry BCT, and that is the SSI they are authorized to wear. Here is a picture from the 2018 deployment showing the 29th BDE SSI being worn as a combat service patch by a member of the 158th. 

158.jpg

And here is another post-war Japanese made SSI that has been cut off a uniform. Machine embroidered on blue silk over khaki cotton material. Black outline on snake and red toungue are hand embroidered.

JPN.jpg

• 3 months later...

Picked up these two at the ASMIC show this weekend. The one on the left is badly faded, look at the reverse to see the original shade of blue. Also note that one tab reads "Bushmaster" the other "Bushmasters". The patch on the right is more common (relative to 158th patches) but the attached tab makes it special. Both of these are off uniforms. 

Image.jpeg

Image(1).jpeg

• 3 months later...

Here is a red version for Christmas. This is one of the less common versions of the Engineer which are pretty difficult to find in any version.

KBjn8IbDQaaIaqHwB6NqYQ.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2017 at 12:09 PM, Teamski said:

Here is that 258th patch. I would date it actually from right around 1961-1965 or so with the matching twill backing. You will find this same thing with older infantry brigade patches right before merrowing came in vogue. Just thought I would share it as I don't see them that often.

-Ski

post-3043-0-32019800-1494432557.jpg

post-3043-0-72140500-1494432559.jpg

You don't happen to have another for sale do you?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 12:09 PM, Teamski said:

Here is that 258th patch. I would date it actually from right around 1961-1965 or so with the matching twill backing. You will find this same thing with older infantry brigade patches right before merrowing came in vogue. Just thought I would share it as I don't see them that often.

-Ski

post-3043-0-32019800-1494432557.jpg

post-3043-0-72140500-1494432559.jpg

This is Exactly what mine looks like. White back cloth, but a significantly greater whiteback, very thin than what I'm accustomed to with WWII US Army patches. Especially that floppy Vee on the bottom.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, JrBfloNY said:

This is Exactly what mine looks like. White back cloth, but a significantly greater whiteback, very thin than what I'm accustomed to with WWII US Army patches. Especially that floppy Vee on the bottom.

See post #20 and #23 in this thread to see more of the post-WW2 versions. I have two different types of the twill backing; one in white and one in khaki. I am sure that even after the merrowed edge variation came out (with the white tongue and different head shape) some AZ Guardsman opted to wear the older version.

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

• 4 months later...

After a brief stint of occupation duty, the 158th RCT was inactivated in Japan. Those soldiers who did not opt to transfer to other units were sent home, out-processing at Ft. Sam Houston, probably because before the war the 158th had been stationed at Camp Barkeley. In 1946 the 158th RCT still did not have an approved SSI, even though they had unofficially adopted the snake and bolo. I Believe the patch you have is what was given to soldiers at Ft. Sam Houston in 1946. Probably locally sourced/produced. I read an article once that referred to this as the “Ft Sam Houston version” though for the life of me I can’t find it again. Almost all of this style I come across have not been sewn on a uniform, though a few have. 

Others may be able to shed more light on this version. 

There are variations of this pattern with felt in different shades of blue.

IMG_0655.jpeg