158th RCT Bushmaster's Patches

rd12

doyler, I've looked at this particular jacket many times where you had posted it before - just incredible. Having the tab with the SSI, and the fact that one knows for sure they were worn together makes this such a great reference photo. Thanks for posting here, it is good to get to see all these variations together.

-Bob

Thanks Bob

The first time I saw the uniform was in the mid 70s and a friend owned it.

as far as I know McNider had to have this war time as being the commander would have obtained it during the war or at the time of occupation.His son was a marine who served on Iow and spoke with him briefly once.He stated he and his father flew home to the states after the war.McNider later commanded the 103 Inf which was a reserve unit post war and said patch is on left sleeve but this is his war time ike he continued to wear.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bob and Morty,

What a great collection you have! Thank you for sharing and the information that comes along with it. I'd love to get in contact with both of you on the phone. (Or in person with Bob since we're in Arizona as well). Can both you please send me a PM?

To contribute to the thread, here is a picture of a coin I was presented by the current leadership of the 1st battalion, 158th Infantry that some of you may appreciate.

-Seth

post-176199-0-60368300-1516655278_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Here's my latest addition - a post war 158th SSI dated from the late 50's to 60's cut from a uniform. What is interesting is that someone

has added some hand-embroidered detail in grey thread to the snake and bolo handle.

post-122639-0-03419700-1540067535.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here's a nice post-war patch, Japanese made, machine embroidered on wool.

Interesting in that the tab is part of the patch and not a separate piece.

post-122639-0-66040500-1551467305_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

Got to see a beaded one at SOS last week, but couldn't talk the owner out of it.

Jumpin Jack

post-247-0-27701400-1551473455_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-35568500-1551473504.jpg

Shown here is a grouping belonging to S/Sgt. Clarence B. Peaslee, Company B, 1279 Engineer Combat Battalion. He was discharged 23 September 1945

after serving 35 months with this unit in the Pacific seeing action at New Caledonia, Gaudalcanal, Bouganville, New Britain, and the Philippines.

The lack of the seven-sided SSI being the sole absolute for WWII seems to be subject for more discussion.

The shadow box presentation has his grouping at the right, and his brother's at the left.

He returned to active duty effective 19 January 1050, serving with the 407th Engineer Company.

The patch in the shadow box is from the 1950’s and is for the 180th Field Artillery, an AZ National Guard unit that traced its lineage to the 158th Infantry. The red eyes, nose and tongue, along with the machine embroidered cut-edge construction tell us this. Hard to tell for sure but the SSI on the jacket appears to match. The vet must have preferred to wear this patch to show his engineer association.

The 1297th ENG BN was part of the 158th RCT for a few weeks in April 1945 during the Luzon campaign, specifically the fighting to capture the Bicol region.

Hi Gentlemen

Here is the image (SOS) of the beaded patch.

The owner desires to remain anonymous.

I'm sure there will be many questions however I can only provide the image.

Phill

post-7582-0-86313600-1551568169.jpg

Very cool, thanks for sharing. The first thought that comes to mind is Native American beadwork - especially considering how many original members of the 158th came from Southwest tribes.

Here's an interesting piece of information regarding 158th SSIs. I have a letter dated 29 August, 1945 that was written by a 158th soldier to his Fiancee. This would have been about two weeks after Japan's surrender. I believe at this time the 158th was in the Philippines where it had been preparing for the invasion of Japan. Specific to this topic, the letter reads..

" Honey we are going to get shoulder patches not many outfits other than divisions get them but the combat team is to get them. They are really fancy a snake around a matchetie (sic) and I mean this outfit is just as deadly as a snake and strong as a knife. "

He even includes a small sketch of the patch. As the Army had not approved an SSI for the 158th at this point, one would think this means that "theater made" patches were being supplied or perhaps they privately ordered patches from the states (outside the supply system) and had them shipped to the Philippines.

post-122639-0-56753400-1551806698.jpg

• 7 months later...

Added another variation to my 158th SSI collection last week, many thanks to a fellow forum member. This is a variation I've been looking for. Black shield with a red tongue.

Hand embroidered on thick black twill.

post-122639-0-86181400-1572884725.jpg