158th RCT Bushmaster's Patches

rd12

I've been working on this purchase since April and it finally all came together. These were waiting in the mail when I got home from work last night. I've scrounged for years to find decent 158th patches and I just doubled my collection! I will post some better photos this weekend.

post-122639-0-99995300-1401989053.jpg

Bill Scott

Killer group some very nice examples of is Iconic insignia.Thanks for posting them its always great to see quality pieces.Scotty

Patchcollector

You did very well.That's an outstanding assortment of 158th variations that you have assembled.I just recently picked up a couple of the US made ones and I was happy to get them!

Those are awesome. funny I was just reading an old Trading Post magazine today and these were in a featured article

Those are awesome. funny I was just reading an old Trading Post magazine today and these were in a featured article

Are you referring to the Article in the Oct-Dec 2003 issue?

Thanks for the comments! Here are some better pictures with the backs included. I've also thrown in some of my others.

This was cut from a Vet's scrapbook ( not by me! ). He collected patches from all his VFW buddies and put them in this book, his son then cut out all the patches and sold them individually. It give's 158th vet name and where he served - I have not researched yet.

post-122639-0-07605200-1402154826.jpg

These are both from late 1950's - 1960's when the 158th was an AZNG Infantry unit - prior to it becoming an MP unit. After the change the snake lost its red tongue for a white one.

post-122639-0-98929400-1402154855.jpg

post-122639-0-52457300-1402154872.jpg

The patches above were made in various locations - US, Panama, Australia, Philippines, and Japan. There is an interesting history to the evolution, approval, and procurement of the patch - in most cases soldiers had patches made locally as they moved through the Pacific theater and then on Occupation duty in Japan. I will edit my posts above as I have more time to research and identify properly.

-Bob

Patchcollector

Wow.That's the best collection of Bushmasters that I've ever seen.Thanks for posting a back view of the patches.I love seeing both sides :love: I'm amazed at the variety of variation for such a simple design!

I like them all,but if I had to pick a favorite I would go with that silk one in the bottom of post # 15.That named one is great too.Thanks for the info on the tongue color.The few I have look like the bottom one in post # 20.If possible,can you please state in which country each one was made?I would be interested to know. :)

With regards to the color of the tongue; My Dad was in the AZNG in the 1960's and was a SGT in the 158th ( which is where one of my red-tongue patches came from ). Anyways, he is the one who told me that when the unit was reorganized into the 258th MP Brigade it was given a redesigned SSI. The tongue became white and the head is shaped different. Here is a very late 1960's or 1970's merrowed-edge 258th MP patch for comparison.

post-122639-0-03699300-1402169348.jpg

mortaydc60

post-565-0-82905200-1402192207.jpegThis is one of my favorite patches. I believe I had the largest collection in the US of 158th RCT BUSHMASTERS. I have been selling my collection off as some may know; but have what I believe to be the much harder to get Black,Red, Orange and yes Green versions that I thought the forum members would enjoy. Check out the bullion version it is killer!