Taking things a little too far...

fstop61

First off, how do they even know it is from a civil war soldier just because it is found near relics.

second who in their right mind would want a old skull in their civil war collection that is possibly from a soldier.

third it is just plain out disrespectful

-Dave

No question about that...

Let's hope this poor soul's remains find his way back to where he belongs...in Gettysburg PA...

Apparently the auction house pulled the skull, and it is now to be handed over to the NPS.

Thanks for the update. Refreshing to see someone do the right thing.

Government Issue

I was just reading through some info on the internet this morning, and came across this article. http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/skull-civil-war-soldier-military-relics-be-sold-auction

To begin, sure the skull isn't proven to be 100% legitimate, but I would wager it probably is. Regardless, it is the only thing left of a human being, and that individual deserves to have their remains treated properly.

This is just so appalling to me. The first question that runs through my head is WHY would someone buy this? The second is WHO would buy this? I mean seriously, this a huge low. I don't know how one could even fathom buying the remains of a reputed fallen combatant? Couldn't they get the remains identified and returned to the family for burial, or have the remains properly buried? That should be the primary objective. Honor the fallen instead of selling what's left of them?!?

We live in a country where there are laws and restrictions on buying and selling medals to collectors and historians interested in preserving the history of the valor they represent because a very few have misrepresented that valor as their own, but we allow this? This is absolutely shameful. I feel like I am living in the Twilight Zone sometimes.

Flashlarue

If it were an America Indian skull it could not be sold and would have to be returned to an Indian tribe. I see this auction as the equivalent of grave robbing. I know of no state which would allow a person to go into a cemetery and dig up a body and sell it. But this heartless idiot can do it to a fallen soldier. That is sad.

If it were an America Indian skull it could not be sold and would have to be returned to an Indian tribe. I see this auction as the equivalent of grave robbing. I know of no state which would allow a person to go into a cemetery and dig up a body and sell it. But this heartless idiot can do it to a fallen soldier. That is sad.

Double Standards :)

Double Standards :)

No it is not. Simply put, Native Americans have demanded legislation protecting their ancestors' remains. They got that legislation passed by Congress. A double standard would be that either non-Natives asked for and did not receive it, or if the legislation was in place but ignored.