Hebrew Veterans of the war with Spain

KevinBeyer

KevinBeyer

In 1900 the Jewish veterans who fought in the Spanish American War organized the Hebrew Veterans of the war with Spain. The first commander was Dr. Samuel Kopetsky. President Theodore Roosevelt, having Jews fight alongside of him, was made an honorary member of the organization. In 1912 the Hebrew Veterans of the war with Spain merged with the Hebrew Union Veterans, a Civil War veterans organization. Following World War I, in 1919 acceptance of Jewish veterans of the Great War precipitated a name change to the Hebrew Veterans of the Wars of the Republic. In 1924 the organization changed its name to the Jewish War Veterans of the Republic. Lastly, in 1929 the final name change occurred and they were henceforth known as the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America.

HebrewVeteransWarWithSpain.jpg

HVWSMembershipCard.jpg

An amazing badge in excellent condition. Of the several Jewish groups formed from 1896 to 1929, each for a different conflict and independent from the others, I have never found any for sale in my area. Alas, I have nothing from these groups.

Wow! VERY nice! They sure don't make society medals (or issued medals for that matter) with this type of quality anymore. A real shame, because these are beautiful pieces.