Reenactors, what eras do you portray?

RustyCanteen

Reenactors, what eras do you portray?   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Reenactors, what eras do you portray?

• Pre-1750s
    • American Revoloution-1770s
    • War of 1812
    • Mexican-American War
    • American Civil War
    • Indian Wars-1860s-1890s
    • Spanish-American War
    • World War One
    • World War Two
    • Korean War
    • Vietnam War
    • Cold War
    • Desert Storm
    • 1990s-2000s
    • Other/see post.

RustyCanteen

Multiple Choice allowed.

Feel free to post why you portray the eras that you do.

In my day, I did ACW. I got into it because a guy I worked with was in it, and I wanted to be. I would have preferred WW1 or WW2, but did not know they existed until later ( no computers in those days). Got too old and beat up to be Authentic Infantry, so went Navy (note avatar, USSConstellation living history 2004). Want to get back into Naval Living history, but have a lot going on now.

I do ACW Union Artillery, WW2 US Armored Infantry and have a Desert Shield / Desert Storm impression that is based on my self.

Mack

RustyCanteen

Thanks to everyone who voted and posted!

I found it interesting that (so far) no one chose the Revolutionary War? Is that due to a particular factor such as lack of interest, or does that have something to do with the supply of suitable reproduction uniforms and equipment? Again, I suppose it could even be a regional factor since the war was primarily fought in the northeast.

Legion Para

With all due respect RustyCanteen, I'm not sure your statement about the Revolutionary War is true. Quite a bit of fighting took place in Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas during the war.

Times are a changing when it comes to living history. I think Revolutionary War reenacting was more popular twenty years ago then it's today and there use to be some great suppliers for uniforms. Keep in mind the expense factor for some regimental tunics could cost as much as $1700.

Now that the 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg has passed, I think you might see a decline in Civil War living history. Part of it is the expense and part of it is a lack of interest by the younger generations.

RustyCanteen

With all due respect RustyCanteen, I'm not sure your statement about the Revolutionary War is true. Quite a bit of fighting took place in Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas during the war.

Absolutely, hence why I said 'primarily'. ;)

My thinking, was that it is somewhat easier for northeastern-based reenactors to cover the RevWar period due to the greater presence of period buildings located in the northeast. And also because there is more demand for them in that region due to tourism. It's also true a reenactor is not confined by region anyway, but certainly you probably will not see many 1870s cavalry reenactments in say, Hawaii or Alaska as you will in Nebraska, South Dakota, and Montana. So I wondered if regional interests might affect preferences a little too.

Legion Para

It's hard to say about regional interests.

There are Civil War events in California and Oregon. I know one Civil War reenactor who lives in Montana and has to travel great distances in order to participate in living history events.

Today you will find Civil War reenactors in Austria and Australia. You will find Viet Nam reenactors in Japan and Romania.

For 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh (2012), reenactors came from many nations to be part of the 15th Iowa. Besides the United States, they came from Canada, England, Scotland, Germany and Australia.

willysmb44

I've done almost every era you can at one point or another...

• Roman centurion
  • Rev War
  • Napoleonic
  • CW (I grew up doing CSA atrillery)
  • Span Am
  • WW1
  • WW2
  • Korea
  • Nam
  • Desert Storm

But I got rid of all of that but the WW2 and CW stuff when I went into the Army for real in 1998. I only now do WW2, have a side impression of Desert Storm, and still have my 'Rough Rider' Captain impression from when I was doing cowboy action shooting...

There are Civil War events in California and Oregon. I know one Civil War reenactor who lives in Montana and has to travel great distances in order to participate in living history events.

True. I live in WA state and there are several CW units. Nothing like you'd see on the East Coast, though.

As for regional stuff, I take living in the region as proof that PTO WW2 will never be a big thing because Fort Stevens is a 2-hour drive from me and there's very little PTO interest even though the Fort was really shelled by a Japanese sub in 1942!

Hey
I would have there nice Reenactors images from Kaliningrad in 2013.
but I do not know if that will interest an American ;)

If so let me know

Sturmgewehr 44 in Action

post-153035-0-80242700-1402432880.jpg

post-153035-0-44849000-1402432971.jpg

post-153035-0-17554000-1402433139.jpg