WAF & Ferry pilot's, Colonel Warner Francis Moore?

rrobertscv

rrobertscv

I am trying to find any information with Colonel Moore and the ferry pilots. He was the uncle of a friend of mine and he and his son are trying to do family research for a project. I don't know anything about this area. Thanks in advance for any help.

This is the email he sent me:

Do you have any information about the Women’s Air Force & the ferry pilot squadrons? My Uncle, Colonel Warner Francis Moore, was the CO of one unit that shuttled aircraft from the US to Great Britain

I have several books about the WAFS and WASPS. I will look at home tonight to see if Colonel Moore is mentioned in any of them. The women shuttled aircraft around the US but not overseas. If he was CO of a unit that shuttled aircraft to Great Britain then there probably were not any WAFS in his unit. As I said, I will look for his name tonight.

Some of the history regarding the WAFS and WFTD. This is from the Texas Women's university website:

From the beginning, the two programs, the WAFS and the Women’s Flying Training Detachment, operated independently and without much interaction between their two rival leaders, Jackie Cochran and Nancy Love, until the summer of 1943, when Jackie pushed aggressively for a single unit to control the activity of all women pilots. On August 5th, 1943, the Women’s Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron and the Women’s Flying Training Detachment were merged and were re-designated the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots or WASP. Cochran was appointed the Director and Love named WASP executive with the Air Transport Command Ferrying Division.

There are some good websites as well. One is Wings Across America:

http://wingsacrossamerica.us/wasp/

The Texas Women's University also has some information:

http://www.twu.edu/library/wasp.asp

...Kat

I looked thru my WAFS/WASP books but no luck. I don't see a Col Warner Francis Moore in my books. As I said before, if he was CO of a group that ferried to Great Britain, then I don't think he was with the WAFS/WASP.

I found a Warner F Moore Jr on NARA who was born in 1921 in Virginia. He enlisted as a private in 1942 in Richmond, Virginia.

Does your friend have any more information about his uncle such as birth date?

...Kat

Was he from Tennessee? There is biographical information on Colonel Warner F. Moore in Military Orders of the World War. Don't know if it is the same one, but he was assigned to ATC during the war.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ibtADE8gMeoC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=Colonel+%22Warner+F+moore.%22&source=bl&ots=UsN_9ICVn2&sig=w-ohxXTXmRjjEto7PpEM-EOO_xY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_Y-QU4jrEcm3sASF94DICw&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Warner%20F%20moore.%22&f=false