LGB Balfour Wing Collection

ram957

Paul....Did they produce Senior Pilot and Master Pilot Wings in pin back ? I haven't had any luck in locating them !

rustywings

Hey Ram957,

It looks like you've got the "Balfour Bug" bad! You need to hook up with our Forum friend John Cooper and find out where the best Balfour Rehab Clinics are located! He'll tell you that once you've located the Senior and Command badges, you'll then need the Balfour "L", "G" & "S" wings....then the gilt & silver Flight Surgeon wings and Flight Nurse wings; then the large-shield Pilot wings; then the large shield wings without horizontal lines; and lets not forget two inch LGB variations! Thanks for sharing your infliction with us! We can certainly relate!

Russ

Paul....Did they produce Senior Pilot and Master Pilot Wings in pin back ? I haven't had any luck in locating them !

See Russ' post :D ! Like everything , it just takes time and money ;) ... I actually had a 3/4" Sterling LGB Command Pilot wing as part of a group once.

You need the parachutist badge too. It is tough to find a WWII example but they are out there!

Allan

I love the two piece wings. I really like the Aerial Gunner wings.

That's is a Beautiful set that you have there!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

John Cooper

Hey Ram957,

It looks like you've got the "Balfour Bug" bad! You need to hook up with our Forum friend John Cooper and find out where the best Balfour Rehab Clinics are located! He'll tell you that once you've located the Senior and Command badges, you'll then need the Balfour "L", "G" & "S" wings....then the gilt & silver Flight Surgeon wings and Flight Nurse wings; then the large-shield Pilot wings; then the large shield wings without horizontal lines; and lets not forget two inch LGB variations! Thanks for sharing your infliction with us! We can certainly relate!

Russ

Ram57,

Russ is correct on all points... of those you posted I have to say the observer has beautiful details that are really striking. Here is one of the large shield wings Russ mentioned that you may find interesting... it is a very special wing as you can see.

Cheers

John

post-227-0-31224100-1402253948.jpg

post-227-0-75047100-1402253976.jpg

rustywings

Thank you John. We couldn't ask for a nicer example of a Balfour "large shield" Pilot badge. The inscription is stunning! And the fact he received his wings just nine months after Pearl Harbor, really makes a statement about the individual who wore them!

John Cooper

Thanks guys I am glad you liked them... No too many sergeants with with wings when compared with officers. I have been searching for a graduation book to see if I can find a photo but no luck thus far.

Cheers

John

Wow pilot wings to a SSG....that's as rare as gunner wings to a flight officer (early gunners were flight officers in some units).

Nice collection of LGB wings!

Gary B