WWII era USCG - CPO Aviator

rustywings

Hi Kurt,

Yes, I honestly don't know what to tell you other than the design of the basic device; the large loop fouling on the bottom, the detailed ridged stock and anchor flukes, resemble Midshipman devices more than anything else, IMHO.

I know when I first started collecting the CG CPO anchors, I was surprised to find the dimensions were not exactly the same as what the regs or specifications for that period called for. I guess there was not much enforcement early on. I will try to find something I read where collar insignia were larger early on as well. I know in the case of the basic Surfman badges, the cap and collar devices were the same size and some were pin back while some were screwback. Just not a lot of good, detailed information about the early insignia.

If I find anything more definitive, I will PM or email you with the information. Still, you have a great pair of early devices, regardless!!

Tim

• 2 years later...

I just managed to get a look at the missing 1922 and 1923 Coast Guard Uniform regulations for enlisted (1922) and officer (1923). There is an item in the 1923 officer regs that describe the CG Aviator insignia as having a SILVER shield on the shank of the anchor. It also describes the CG Student aviator insignia as having the right wing and shield removed and a silver 'S' on the shank of the anchor.

Does the original photo match up with a 1920 style ??

Since originally posting back in 2014, I've seen this style of anchor (shown on the CPO device) on several items, including sweetheart pieces. Many of these come from French stock, so I assume the anchor stock is possibly of French material stock, possibly purchased and used by jewelers here in the U.S. As everyone knows, many in the jewelry business also had contracts to produce military insignia under contract.

A couple of observations if I may:

1) Here is a color plate illustration, dated from 1944, from one of the various commercial organizations that printed insignia information during WW2 for general information and dissemination.

Note the aviator badge. Also, of interest is the shield on all of the insignia and that the shield has two flat horizontal rows of stars and 13 (6 & 7) stripes. Understanding that this is only an illustration and not an actual photo of various insignia, I cannot say they got details exactly correct.

post-50776-0-73768800-1483907502_thumb.jpg

However, of all the full-size Coast Guard CPO cap devices I have dating from the early 1900's when the No.1 Surfman used this style of insignia through the early 1950's, the stars are not in flat horizontal rows but have the top row contoured to the shield and the center star is raised. The number of alternating stripes is actually 15 (7 & 8), with narrow raised stripes.

After 1951, the Coast Guard started to enforce the design standards and get away from using the Navy's design for insignia. The 1959 amendment made special note that the stars and center top points of the shield were to be flatter.

Here's a comparison photo of some of my Coast Guard anchors and the top row dates from early 1900's to 1943 and the bottom row from later WW2 through the early 1970's. Note the two anchors on the right bottom row and how the shield pattern changed. I believe the black subdued version is Vietnam era, circa late 1960's and a transition style used on the utility greens.

post-50776-0-52382100-1483907852_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of the shield and the difference in design.

So, I'm not sure of the actual authenticity of the two items Russ shows, they may not be regulation insignia but custom or private purchase pieces or items made for commercial purposes. They certainly look old and period made and the partial photo in Huss' book states custom, so...?

Tim

post-50776-0-68050000-1483908604_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...