WWII USMC Sterling pin real or fake ?

Wings of Zero

Wings of Zero

Hi everyone,

I am French, so sorry for my poor english :rolleyes:

I am new on this forum. I bought this pin to a seller from Missouri.

He thinks it is 95% ww2. I recently saw it was similar to the model 37.

I think it could be a copy perhaps !? ... :huh: ... because we see whites lines on (molding ?)

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Best regards

Wings of Zero

post-153157-0-82422200-1401819000.jpg

post-153157-0-05079400-1401819101.jpg

Garth Thompson

I don't think this an official USMC EGA but is a sweetheart piece.

Garth

teufelhunde.ret

It is an emblem stamped from original dies of the M37 issue emblems for enlisted Marines. This example very likely never saw service or used by a enlisted Marine, as it was never configured with a screwpost. Pin back insignia were not used by this time, nor would anyone go to the expense to have pinback insignia made for use on their uniform. As mentioned before this represents a sweetheart pin bought for a wife, mother or girl friend.

Wings of Zero

Hello,

Thank you very much.

Two friends of the french website MilitariaCollecIII think the badge is civil or copy ? ...

One of them said that small white marks are painting. It seems that wee see in the book "Antique Sweetheart jewelry" by Nicolas Snider.

The seller wrote : "I think it is possible the pin was gold plated originally and has worn mostly off. I doubt the pin was civilian since it is the embleme of the USMC".

Can you date exactly this badge ? ..

Because that emblem stamped from original dies of the M37 until 50's (1954) according to a friend ?

greetings

Jo

These pins are most likely WWII, and were produced by Dodge. I have both the pinback example as depicted above, and screwback collar emblems with Dodge rollers in my collection

It is only civilian in regard to it was worn by girlfriends and wives of Marines, but not a civilian organization. And it is definitely original