wildcat123 finds

wildcat123

wildcat123

I bought all of this insignia together and I'm assuming that it belonged to the same officer. Included 3 felt Airforce patches, 1 standard 15th AF patch, 2 ribbon bars, one set of bullion Major's oakleaves, one set of embroidered oakleaves, misc pin back oakleaves (one gold plated), Misc ribbons, Officer's hat device, bullion and embroidered overseas bars and DUI pair.

Does anyone know that airforce unit that these DUIs are for? They are Italian made (marked V. Jaracino, Taranto) and pin back. Thanks for your help. Let me know what you think.

Tyler

post-1095-1212892759.jpg

post-1095-1212892770.jpg

post-1095-1212892783.jpg

post-1095-1212892789.jpg

post-1095-1212892800.jpg

post-1095-1212892810.jpg

ItemCo16527

Outstanding group, Tyler! thumbsup.gif

I did some checking around, and it looks like the distinctive unit insignia are for the 449th Bombardment Group.

(LINK)

Great items!

I love the 15th AF patch!

Pins are awesome too! What are the devices on the African European Middle eastern campaign medal ribbon bar? And is the medic pin marked in teh back?

Thanks for sharing!

Great stuff! Congrats!

Regards,

Heli

wildcat123

Thank you for the information and the comments, I appreciate it.

The devices on the EAME ribbon are four battle stars. The medical insignia is marked "Meyer Metal" and has a crest I can't quite make out.

• 1 month later...

I picked these up this week at my local antique store. I like to buy something from the guy fairly often so he will continue to set aside the military stuff for me, so I didn't get a great deal. I believe two of the patches are German, but I'll let someone confirm that for me. There are three WWI era postcards. It's a real shame that the moths got to the bullion AF patch, it looked like it was a beauty in its day. Has anyone ever successfully restored one of these. The other AF patch looks like tinsel (US made I've been told). I'm not a patch guy, so any info will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Tyler

post-1095-1216765010.jpg

post-1095-1216765022.jpg

post-1095-1216765033.jpg

The Wings and Prop is a Luftwaffe patch.

The Snake coiled up around the pole looking think is a German Medical badge I think

I picked these up this week at my local antique store. I like to buy something from the guy fairly often so he will continue to set aside the military stuff for me, so I didn't get a great deal. I believe two of the patches are German, but I'll let someone confirm that for me. There are three WWI era postcards. It's a real shame that the moths got to the bullion AF patch, it looked like it was a beauty in its day. Has anyone ever successfully restored one of these. The other AF patch looks like tinsel (US made I've been told). I'm not a patch guy, so any info will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Tyler

Tyler-

Actually, because of that 89th Division patch, you probably got a very good deal. Rather than being a typical $3 common 89th Division patch, it's a nice early white back with a blue circle between the red and white circles. That variation with the extra blue circle is rather scarce.

Kurt

Thanks for the info guys! I guess I did alright. Can you give me more info on the 89th patch? I wasn't able to find it in the patch books I have. When were these patches made? Did they come before the standard WWII patch or after? How much do they sell for?

Thanks again. This forum rocks (once again)!!

It's a U.S. maker and until I saw your patch, I thought patches made like this (i.e., distinctive white back and ribbed stitching) were early WW2. The red/white/blue 89th is a "post war" design. I'd say yours is still a mid 40's "post war" patch.

It's a very nice patch, but not a "big bucks" patch. I don't know what the exact value is.

Kurt

i have never seen one on e bay in the last years

so it is so much worth what collectors will pay for that!

the only way to find it out is to sale it

regards

i have never seen one on e bay in the last years

so it is so much worth what collectors will pay for that!

the only way to find it out is to sale it

regards

Agree. Ebay is the best way to go, particularly for a patch not listed often. All you need are two "variation freaks" to bid it way up.

Kurt

Thanks for all the comments and information. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll throw it on EBay and see what happens!

Thanks for all the comments and information. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll throw it on EBay and see what happens!

post the link please then

regards

Airborne-Hunter
post the link please then

regards

I agree, if you can, please post a link. Great lot of stuff you found.