a few B-29 snaps

R Michael

Hello All I recently picked up some photos from a crew of a B-29. I think These are Korean war vintage maybe late 40's? Also I think the fellow who took these photos may have been a crew member of a B-25 as ther is one photo showing an air strip with these bombers.

Mike

post-1387-1212889674.jpg

post-1387-1212889687.jpg

post-1387-1212889697.jpg

Here is the b25 photo. Looks WWII to me as I am not aware that these flew in Korea or after WWII. Please correct me if I am wrong

Mike think.gif

post-1387-1212889958.jpg

The B-25 in the photo appears to be a D model which would mean probably mid WWII. Also note the photograph is flipped as the national insignia looks to be on the right upper wing when it should be on the left upper wing.

B-25's were either relagated to the Air National Guard, or went to Air Training Command for use as trainers after WWII and did not fly combat in the Korean war. Trainer conversions of the B-25 were known as TB-25 and most were later J models. Those continued to be used to teach reciprocating, multi engine pilots up until the late 1950's.

I agree with Lee that those are most likely B-25Ds. The B-25C would also be a possibility... but I favor the D. The serial number would have to be visible to tell for sure, though.

The national insignia on these Mitchells have the red border, dating the photo no earlier than June 29th, 1943 and, theoretically, no later than August 14th, 1943... when the red was ordered removed and replaced with blue. However, as is the case with many markings changes, the removal of the red wasn't always achieved quickly... sometimes it took weeks or months. So, again, this photo dates no earlier than June 29th, 1943 and possibly as late as early 1944.

Fade to Black...