Aberdeen Ordnance Museum Move

Teamski

Hey guys,

A quick question. Does anybody here know if any of the AFVs at the Aberdeen Ordnance Museum were scrapped instead of being moved to Fort Lee/Fort Benning? I heard that a good portion of the collection was scrapped, but I find that hard to believe. Thanks for any intel.

-Ski

Items were moved to several organizations within the Army Museum System. Ft. Lee and Ft. Benning were not the only destinations.

RustyCanteen

I believe 'Cobrahistorian' posted about some of the items arriving at the Artillery museum last fall.

Why would they scrap any of the vehicles knowing full well the money they could bring into the US Treasury if sold?

Why would they scrap any of the vehicles knowing full well the money they could bring into the US Treasury if sold?

I know, it didn't sound right, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me with how the military treats its stuff. If you saw the condition of those tanks at Aberdeen, you would have blown a gasket. I know I did. Hell, we had the USS Olympia being considered as a reef and the ship should have been safeguarded by the US Navy a long time ago.

-Ski

I know, it didn't sound right, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me with how the military treats its stuff. If you saw the condition of those tanks at Aberdeen, you would have blown a gasket. I know I did. Hell, we had the USS Olympia being considered as a reef and the ship should have been safeguarded by the US Navy a long time ago.

-Ski

If we were talking about display vehicles at a post that was being shut down, it could be possible.

But APG with the museum being right there would hopefully be different. (And yes, they were not kept in the best condition, but the vehicles were kept as a collection.)

Then again... I am told there used to be a Japanese Zero fighter used as a gate guard at Clark. At some point one of the base commanders decided he didn't like it and it disappeared forever.

• 4 months later...

It`s bad the vehicles where now at different places. Visited Aberdeen in 2007 - and it was great.

Nothing but an empty field now....with a propped up Cessna type modern plane at one edge....weird!

I grew up climbing on those tanks in the summer.

Nothing but an empty field now....with a propped up Cessna type modern plane at one edge....weird!

I grew up climbing on those tanks in the summer.

I thought that they were going to keep some of the tanks/vehicles (1 Panther, Sherman etc.) as a much smaller permanent display? Glad I got to visit a few times.

Frank

I thought that they were going to keep some of the tanks/vehicles (1 Panther, Sherman etc.) as a much smaller permanent display? Glad I got to visit a few times.

Frank

I just read the online Baltimore Sun article from 2013 that reports that the museum will not reopen. That really sucks!

Frank

How things change. Went to AIT at APG in 71, had many a night of guard duty at the " tank park". Little did the SOG, et-al knew I loved climbing over the rare tanks. As an aside, anyone who was there will remember the skunks, and the fog. A PO'ed skunk cuts loose in the fog and the funk covered a lot of the base.

I remember the fog, especially driving to work in the morning.

I remember stopping in the road over a possum that was lying there. I couldn't tell if it was alive or dead, but it was going to get squished if it stayed where it was at. In one motion I grabbed it by the tail and sent it flying into a field. I still remember that image of a flying possum with all four legs spread. Hope the little fella made it.

I honestly believed that little museum was my own personal "walk through the wars" display of guns and ordnance just for me growing up. In highschool, on a few of the hook days (now called skip days), I was at that museum......total war nerd!