Man the Line Uniforms

rclay49

I'm new to WWI reenacting. is there anyone out there that purchased the WWI US uniform and items from Man the Line. it says super high quality. I just wanted to find out it that is true. any help would be appreciated.

they look ok but that is just a picture. Most people get them from Schipper and I heard Argonne Militaria has nice uniforms. I recently purchased web gear from them. Good deal, nice quality, great communication and fast shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a complete uniform from man the line, it only took 4 days to get it and I was extremely impressed, very well made.

If you don't know that EVERY SINGLE vendor of reproductions will tell you that their stuff is the best around, you'll learn it soon enough.

NEVER EVER buy because someone advertises that. In fact most reproductions these days are made in bulk overseas, and people just buy from the same wholesalers. And due to quality control issues, the same item may be great in one batch, but total junk in the next. To my eye the material from he two vendors mentioned above looks like the same wholesale made stuff from the east.

Sadly, some of those people are buying samples from the top notch repro makers, and using that as a pattern instead of originals. So unlike someone like schipperfabrik you're getting a copy of a copy.

If you are new to reenacting, NEVER BUY anything until you hook up with a unit. or at least some trustworthy people that do that specific period and nation. I don't know how many people have wasted money buying crap, then they find a unit who tells them its the wrong stuff, or looks like garbage.

Even worse, you may end up buying something that looks kind of OK from a distance, but is actually a cheap polyester fabric (not real wool) so in the heat you die a thousand deaths. Or falls apart when you are out it the field, ruining your whole day.

You need to be sure your kit will pass muster with the unit and the organization, is made of decent material, and will hold up under tough conditions. Too much of the crap out there is useable only by people who dress up in their own homes and parade around in private.

Ask around, ask around, ask around! And you probably could have saved money calling those guys up and asking if they would do some kind of deal if you bought a bunch of stuff.

Oh, and as a case in point. Someone bought a German WW1 uniform from Hessen, and went to join the GWHS. Only to be told those uniforms do nto meet their authenticity standards, so he has to sell them and buy better ones. So it's not just me.

If you don't know that EVERY SINGLE vendor of reproductions will tell you that their stuff is the best around, you'll learn it soon enough.

NEVER EVER buy because someone advertises that. In fact most reproductions these days are made in bulk overseas, and people just buy from the same wholesalers. And due to quality control issues, the same item may be great in one batch, but total junk in the next. To my eye the material from he two vendors mentioned above looks like the same wholesale made stuff from the east.

Sadly, some of those people are buying samples from the top notch repro makers, and using that as a pattern instead of originals. So unlike someone like schipperfabrik you're getting a copy of a copy.

If you are new to reenacting, NEVER BUY anything until you hook up with a unit. or at least some trustworthy people that do that specific period and nation. I don't know how many people have wasted money buying crap, then they find a unit who tells them its the wrong stuff, or looks like garbage.

Even worse, you may end up buying something that looks kind of OK from a distance, but is actually a cheap polyester fabric (not real wool) so in the heat you die a thousand deaths. Or falls apart when you are out it the field, ruining your whole day.

You need to be sure your kit will pass muster with the unit and the organization, is made of decent material, and will hold up under tough conditions. Too much of the crap out there is useable only by people who dress up in their own homes and parade around in private.

Ask around, ask around, ask around! And you probably could have saved money calling those guys up and asking if they would do some kind of deal if you bought a bunch of stuff.

Very well said Jon. I bump into this all the time. I recall a few years back selling one of my prototype camo HBT paratrooper jump suits on ebay to someone in Singapore only to see those suits explode on ebay. This is one good reason why I make my own product.

And If I had a nickel for every newbie reenactor who claimed to be an expert on rating high quality military uniform construction...

Jon is dead right. Some online repro ads look great in the pics, but don't pass muster in the flesh. For example, a British company was offering Ikes and four- pockets on their website. On "live" models in the accompanying pics they looked fine. However, I got the opportunity to examine them at first hand at a show, and whilst they had "the look", the fabric from which they were made was not wool serge, but some kind of OD synthetic which close up looked and felt all wrong! These, I believe, are imported from the far east. It's always best to try before you buy! Same with some repro WW2 officer's visor hats. Their russet leather bills....ain't! It's usually brown lookalike vinyl...but in online pics they look fine!

There is a reason they used real wool in the war- it breathes when it is hot, and it keeps you warn when it is wet. Polyester does not do that.

I've just seen so many people go buy junk, and then when they show up their unit says "uh, we really wish you would have asked before hand, we could have helped you get it cheaper and actually useable. Besides, most decent units will be happy to give advice even if you are not joining them. TMOSTdon't like to see farbtastic items in the field either.

Just ask before you buy, and DO NOT ask the vendor as they are going to tell you their stuff is woven from solid gold and used by every unit under the sun. No offense to the good vendors.

There is a reason they used real wool in the war- it breathes when it is hot, and it keeps you warn when it is wet. Polyester does not do that.

I've just seen so many people go buy junk, and then when they show up their unit says "uh, we really wish you would have asked before hand, we could have helped you get it cheaper and actually useable. Besides, most decent units will be happy to give advice even if you are not joining them. TMOSTdon't like to see farbtastic items in the field either.

Just ask before you buy, and DO NOT ask the vendor as they are going to tell you their stuff is woven from solid gold and used by every unit under the sun. No offense to the good vendors.

No offense taken. FWIW as they say, trust but verify!

• 3 weeks later...
SocietyBrandHatCo

Argonne Militaria (www.argonnemilitaria.com) used originals as patterns. Very high quality stuff compared to others out there, and compares very, very nicely with originals.

EVERYONE (that does not buy from the east) uses originals as patterns. That's the easy part. But who grades their patterns so the uniforms fit properly?

I doubt they are actually making their own webbing though, as that is a major pain to do.

but you re paying 325 for a uniform from company no one (that I know of anyway) has herd of, whereas for another 100 bucks you get that, plus shirt, puttees, overseas hat, and collar disks. From a well established company that everyone knows, and has been doing this almost forever.

You pays your money and you takes your chance.

SocietyBrandHatCo

Every company had to start somewhere. Sounds like rclay49 was satisfied with Argonne Militaria.

Very true, but I still maintain in this day of everyone and their mother selling reproductions brought in from wholesalers from the east, the safe bet is to check with a unit first BEFORE you buy, and if you don't want to do that, then at least go with a known dealer.

If their stuff is good, then the word will get around. If they want world to get around, they should bring some of it to events to show off.

SocietyBrandHatCo

Argonne was at a WWI event in Rockford, IL (fairly close to my neck of the woods). I have no doubt the longer they are around, their reputation will grow. They're not selling Chinese crap.

Their material looks the same as just about everyone's, and just about everyone's looks like crap compared to originals. The texture is usually entirely incorrect. Color is less of an issue, as there is a pretty dramatic spread of colors when it comes to 1917-1918 examples.

Maybe I'm wrong, if someone could post comparison pictures of the material that would be much more helpful.

Darktrooper

I would not recommend Man the Line Uniform products. I bought a pair of their USMC boondockers and after three days of use at an event, the heels are falling apart. You get what you pay for.....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with SocietyBrandHatCo, Argonne Militaria is relatively new and has kind of crappy pictures on his site, but his uniforms are just as good as Schipper (they are made at the same factory). He did indeed use original uniforms for patterns, which is sad but that's the way it is. His field Gear is also good, its a bit lighter in color than Schipper, which is very copper in color and has antiqued brass hardware. Argonne has black brass hardware, which looks better in my opinion.

I'm with SocietyBrandHatCo, Argonne Militaria is relatively new and has kind of crappy pictures on his site, but his uniforms are just as good as Schipper (they are made at the same factory). He did indeed use original uniforms for patterns, which is sad but that's the way it is. His field Gear is also good, its a bit lighter in color than Schipper, which is very copper in color and has antiqued brass hardware. Argonne has black brass hardware, which looks better in my opinion.

that's interesting, but not surprising. Have you compared them in person or are you just comparing pictures? As someone who started as a collector and then moved into living history, I don't have the hands on experience with the repros as much.

Comparing in person. I used to work for At The Front and am good friends with Rollin, the owner of Argonne is a good friend of mine and Marine Corps vet and veteran of Iraq, he also used to work for Rollin. that's how I know where the uniforms and equipment is made for both Argonne and Schipper.

I purchased a replacement chinstrap for an M-1 helmet through Man the Line. The color and buckle finish was way off. Rather than go through the hassle of a return, I set out to "salt' it up by scrubbing the green paint finish off the buckle and giving it turns in a salt bath and hanging on the back fence for about two months now.... I don't believe I would try them again. I should have stayed with my original plan and gone though www.jmurrayinc1944.com . Tried to save a few $$, and paid the price.

• 6 months later...