A11 gloves or not ?

usaaf93

Hi everyone

I recently found this pair of gloves. It looks like the 1st pattern of A11 gloves and it's dated 1943 inside.

I don't see any Army Air Force stamp or writings on them and the maker is unknown to me.

What do you think about them ?

post-106404-0-40419300-1401706398.jpg

carrabassett

These appear to be 1953 dated D-3a US army gloves (see DA designation and end number of -53). They have used this pattern of glove since WW2 and still are in use today. The DA designation was from 1953-61 and plus I don't believe I have ever seen a pair of black leather gloves from WW2; like holsters, etc they were brown/natural and post war it changed to black leather. If you noice the 1943 date is a "pattern date". Hope this helps.

Jim

littlebuddy

These appear to be 1953 dated D-3a US army gloves (see DA designation and end number of -53). They have used this pattern of glove since WW2 and still are in use today. The DA designation was from 1953-61 and plus I don't believe I have ever seen a pair of black leather gloves from WW2; like holsters, etc they were brown/natural and post war it changed to black leather. If you noice the 1943 date is a "pattern date". Hope this helps.

Jim

Beat me too it Jim ! well spotted there !!

LB

BlueBookGuy

"53" is the date for this production batch of specimens, thus much after WW2.

May 26, 1943 is the authorized date of the specific "pattern" for this glove, virtually the same as the A-11s. In effect, the correct date (as coming from AAF documentation) for standardization of the true A-11 Flight Gloves is March 30, 1943.

I had seen that auction on E Bay but the dealer would not come through with any more details so I had to pass. You might be able to sell them to someone who is assembling a C1 vest and needs a pair of D3As. Not wartime but will fill the pocket until a correct pair comes along.