WW1 Impression

Burch128

So I used to be a member here, but it appears my account got deleted. Anyways, recently I began compiling a WW1 U.s 32nd I.D Impression. Specifically B Co, 1-128th Infantry. I've got almost everything ordered/here except one thing that's going to be almost impossible : My unit's collar disk. The crossed rifles with 128 on top, and B on the bottom of them. Once this is all together, I have generic crossed rifles, but would really like to get a unit-specific disk. There is a person I know who makes molds from originals and creates reproduction disks, so it would be used for that, then returned to a collection, not used in the field. If anyone, by chance, has one of these, or knows someone who does, could you please PM me to get this completed? I would really appreciate it. Here's some of my gear so far. My prized possession is my newly acquired Rock Island 1918 Dated 1903. The M1910 gear is original. Helmet is a Prairie Flower Leather Company repro. Enjoy!

9aby64u.jpg

Bonjour.

As a collector of WWI material, I am not in favor of copies. Home, helmets are at very affordable prices. Why buy a copy? Like all other products in the same time.
The bolt handle is .03 of your post WWI.
The collar can be found easily with a little patience.
The copy is the pox collector.

Cordialement solcarlus.

I want a reproduction helmet so I don't ruin it in the field. I know the bolt is post WW1, and I'm working on that. The collar disk, I want copies made so I don't lose it while re-enacting because of its rarity. This is for re-enacting, not just for collecting. Thanks!

I want a reproduction helmet so I don't ruin it in the field. I know the bolt is post WW1, and I'm working on that. The collar disk, I want copies made so I don't lose it while re-enacting because of its rarity. This is for re-enacting, not just for collecting. Thanks!

How do you like the Prairie Flower Repro Helmet. Is the texture sawdust or sand?

For your collar disc, you may want to try Repros by Ray at http://stores.ebay.com/Repros-by-Ray. From everything I have read on WWI forums, make fine quality replicas and seems to be open to special orders. I would see if he can help. I too have started using a Prairie Flower helmet for running around and doing presentations. My original 1917's are showing their age, especially my 33rd ID marked one. I wouldn't want the chinstraps and liners to come apart. Same for my other uniforms and gear. I have some Schipperfabrik and Great War Militaria stuff that looks great and I don't have to worry too much about it getting ruined when I am wearing and using it. Good luck with your impression.

I have an original set of gear and repro gear as well. Also where did you get your web belt and pack. it looks like it is in great condition. was it unissued.

How do you like the Prairie Flower Repro Helmet. Is the texture sawdust or sand?

It's sawdust. It looks amazing and I love it. Well worth the money IMO.

For your collar disc, you may want to try Repros by Ray at http://stores.ebay.com/Repros-by-Ray. From everything I have read on WWI forums, make fine quality replicas and seems to be open to special orders. I would see if he can help. I too have started using a Prairie Flower helmet for running around and doing presentations. My original 1917's are showing their age, especially my 33rd ID marked one. I wouldn't want the chinstraps and liners to come apart. Same for my other uniforms and gear. I have some Schipperfabrik and Great War Militaria stuff that looks great and I don't have to worry too much about it getting ruined when I am wearing and using it. Good luck with your impression.

I'm in contact with Ray and he can't find one and doesn't know where to get one. He needs originals to make a mold from, so it's up to me to track it down so he can make my unit a bunch of repros. Thanks much! It should be totally complete by the end of the month.

I have an original set of gear and repro gear as well. Also where did you get your web belt and pack. it looks like it is in great condition. was it unissued.

I scored the belt, and 1910 haversack (which had a .45 mag pouch in it) for 157$ Shipped on E-bay. Got lucky I guess. It's un-issued Rock Island dated 1918.

that's a great deal. Sounds good. I think I'm going to order one because I too don't want to ruin my original helmet.

do have have all original or repro gear. also do you know of anyone interested in selling any US gear or equipment. I am new to WWI reenacting

do have have all original or repro gear. also do you know of anyone interested in selling any US gear or equipment. I am new to WWI reenacting

When I'm all done, I'll have about a 60/40 mix of original and repro stuff. About 60% Will be repro, but 40% will be original. I have an E-tool c coming in the mail any day to complete my gear, and a repro bayonet. Can't wait to have it all completed and done. Will definitely take pictures of it on me when it's done. Even got a set of M1910 dogtags custom made, it's going to look awesome.

RustyCanteen

Bonjour.

The bolt handle is .03 of your post WWI.

Hi Solcarlus!

RIA used both the earlier bolt and the later 'swept' handle bolts during 1919 production. Since many of the RIA's were overhauled it is not uncommon to see the later bolts. Springfield also used the later style bolts during 1918-1919.

Please see John Beard's bolt chart for RIA: http://www.vishooter.net/slc16_2008.html

RC

Hi Solcarlus!

RIA used both the earlier bolt and the later 'swept' handle bolts during 1919 production. Since many of the RIA's were overhauled it is not uncommon to see the later bolts. Springfield also used the later style bolts during 1918-1919.

Please see John Beard's bolt chart for RIA: http://www.vishooter.net/slc16_2008.html

RC

Abolsutely, however, I'm trying to be as authentic to 1918 as possible so I've bid on a straight handle, more correct for the period. Most likely, 99.9% of people won't notice it, but I do, and that's what matters lol.

RustyCanteen

Abolsutely, however, I'm trying to be as authentic to 1918 as possible so I've bid on a straight handle, more correct for the period. Most likely, 99.9% of people won't notice it, but I do, and that's what matters lol.

Nothing wrong with going the extra mile for historical accuracy!

That is a very nice RIA as well.

Nothing wrong with going the extra mile for historical accuracy!

That is a very nice RIA as well.

Thanks much! I can't wait to shoot her. Just have to get some IMR 4895 and we'll be set.

Be careful swapping bolts.Have the head space checked if you do not have a set of GO,NO-GO gauges. This is even more important if you are going to reload ammo.

Safety first,good luck

Bob

Bonjour Rusty.

Thank you for the link. If I understand correctly, the "curved handle" (bolt handle) appeared in March 1919?
This amendment has therefore not been fighting in France.
In addition, I understand the use of copies for the reenactment, but then we find on the market for unscrupulous people to sell such items for good; and candid to buy.
I know we do not have the same approach on the subject on both sides of the Atlantic ;)

solcarlus.

it's the little details that nobody notices but you notice to make your gear more authentic that bring history to life.

RustyCanteen

Bonjour Rusty.

Thank you for the link. If I understand correctly, the "curved handle" (bolt handle) appeared in March 1919?

This amendment has therefore not been fighting in France.

In addition, I understand the use of copies for the reenactment, but then we find on the market for unscrupulous people to sell such items for good; and candid to buy.

I know we do not have the same approach on the subject on both sides of the Atlantic ;)

solcarlus.

Hi Solcarlus!

RIA introduced the curved bolt in March 1919; but it should be treated as an estimate. I believe that survey was based on examination of original rifles, not necessarily paperwork giving a firm date. Springfield Armory began using the curved bolts in the later part of 1918.

Yes, we can thank the late ratification of a peace treaty for changing the 'official' peace settlement on this side of the atlantic. ;)

Garandomatic

Regarding the bolt handle, I read somewhere not long after I got my '03 that the straight bolt handles had safety issues. I do not recall where I read it, but I did read it SEPARATE from the well-known low serial number issue. Anybody ever heard of that problem?

• 3 months later...
eaglerunner88

Even got a set of M1910 dogtags custom made, it's going to look awesome.

Where did you get them from? I was thinking of getting a blank set from Schipper and then using an original identification stamping set to do mine.