Campaign Hats

Thanks, when I stated, I wanted to collect all the different branches, then realized how many differnent ones I would have to get and didn't have the space to dispaly. I think if I were starting again, I would just collect the cords. Ron

post-9148-0-63579500-1401680070.jpg

Very nice indeed! EM hats are getting more difficult to find each year and yours look to be in near pristine condition. I was wondering, of the 9 shown in the group photo, how many different hat manufacturers are represented? Thanks for showing these.

Thank you. When I started, I thought hey were all teh same but after a whiel you begin to notice small variations (grommet color, felt color, stictching and etc).

Ibeleive they are a t least maker marked ones ont eh sweat band and some have just the date and United Hat Makers label under the band. I try not to move the sweat bands much as stitching this old is fragile. Fortunately all the sweatbands are securely attach and I want to keep them that way.

Here are some shots of the interiors.

post-9148-0-33923100-1401731489.jpg

post-9148-0-44199300-1401731508.jpg

Michigan Dawg

Thanks for sharing such wonderful photos.

It's particularly valuable that we can see the color variation when all the hats are photographed under the same lighting conditions as you've done. I couldn't help but be struck by how many of the hats have a decidedly "brown" tone to them which I suppose is still acceptable in the color range associated with olive drab.

The hat band color variation was interesting as well, appearing to range from what might be called a chocolate brown all the way to the dusty tan of the cavalry hat. That particular hat band also appears to match pretty closely the overall color of the hat itself!

Thanks very much for sharing your fantastic collection with us.

suwanneetrader

Is it true one can tell if WWI And slightly before by the number of rows of stitching around the edge of the brim? Is there away to tell old USMC from Army issue, I seem to believe I once was told something about the air vent holes. A really really nice collection. Richard

I have always been told that WW1 EM hats had 5 rows of stitching. On WW1 hats, the silk band is not as wide and has a different weave pattern as post war modelsand the chin strap grommet is also a smaller oval on WW1 hats.

On the Marine Corp campaign hat, the brim will be turned up and sewn (you will a lip on the outer edge of the brim).

Ron

world war I nerd

This is the family tree of the 1911 Campaign Hat as I understand it.

Spec. No. 1145: Adopted January 2, 1912

1. The crown is 5 1/2 inches high.

2. The four ventilation eyelets are each 2 3/4 inches from the base of the crown.

3. The brim is 3 inches wide, and has no stitching.

4. There are two slits/holes on the brim, one on each side of the crown, 1/4 inch from the base and 1 1/4 inches forward of the crown's center point. Each hole is reinforced by a round felt eyelet on the top side of the brim, through which the regulation flat braided tying cord passed.

Spec. No. 1177: Adopted April 10, 1913

1. The crown was made higher by 1/4 inch to allow for better air circulation inside. The new height was 5 3/4 inches.

2. The four ventilation eyelets were each raised by 1/4 inch making them 3 inches from the base of the crown.

3. The edge of the 3 inch wide brim was reinforced with five rows of silk stitching.

4. The location of the eyelets for the flat braided tying cord remained 1 1/4 inches forward of the crown's center point. However, they were moved to the base of the crown, under the sweatband. The circular felt reinforcement was omitted and replaced by a pair of round eyelets (one on each side).

Spec. No. 1248: Adopted September 6, 1916

1. The crown is 5 3/4 inches high.

2. The four ventilation eyelets remained at 3 inches from the base of the crown.

3. The five rows of silk thread at the edge of the 3 inch wide brim were replaced with five rows of mercerized cotton.

4. The round eyelets for the flat braided tying cord remained 1 1/4 inches forward of the crown's center, and at the base of the crown and under the sweatband.

Spec. No. 1289: Adopted December 21, 1917

1. The crown remained at 5 3/4 inches high.

2. The four ventilation eyelets remained at 3 inches from the base of the crown.

3. The five rows of mercerized cotton thread remained at the edge of the 3 inch wide brim.

4. The eyelets for the flat braided tying cord remained 1 1/4 inches forward of the crown's center point; however they were moved back onto the brim, 1/4 inch from the base of the crown. The round eyelets were replaced with oblong eyelets to accommodate the recently adopted 1/4 inch wide leather chinstrap.

Before this time leather chinstraps were non-regulation and a strictly private purchase item.

Spec. No. 1357: Adopted August 22, 1918

1. As a wartime economy, the crown was reduced by 1/4 inch to 5 1/2 inches.

3. The width of the brim was also reduced by 1/8 inch to 2 7/8 inches. Instead of five rows of mercerized cotton thread at the edge of the brim, this model hat was manufactured with only two rows.

4. The two oblong eyelets for the leather chinstrap remained 1 1/4 inches forward of the crown's center point, and on the brim, 1/4 inch from the base of the crown.

Note: Because the late war economy model campaign hat is smaller in size, it is often been incorrectly labeled as a Boy Scout campaign hat.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a 1944 dated artillery campaign hat, but no pics yet. It's not in great shape like your hats... but decent.

-Brian