Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

DesertRatTom

DesertRatTom

This same thread will be posted in the Forums as this posting set runs the circuit from the Indian Wars to The Great War for making you own period correct hats. If this has been previously posted my apologies.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?16998-Now-Forming!-the-Campaign-Hat-Corps&s=baaa1a5b848f660d527041e594ac60f0

• 2 months later...

Wow! Wonderful pictures, and even more amazing that you can pin-point your relative! The helmet plate would indeed have had a numeral on the shield--the regiment to which he would have belonged. The cavalry regiments were 1-10, and you can rule out 9 and 10 since he's white--and they would have been at Fort Leavenworth. I don't have the Army Cavalry Lineage Series at the house, but you can rule out most of the regiments based on their location in 86 as so many were in the southwest. If memory serves.

The 4th, 6th and 8th were primarily in the southwest, the 3rd in Texas, and the 1st spread out and in the Dakotas around 86.

I wouldn't rule out the 2nd,5th or the 7th; but pieces of all the regiments were spread out, so there are possibilities for a lot of them.

v/r

Wolf