WWII Contracts and Regulations US NAVY COMBAT AIRCREW WINGS

KASTAUFFER

Here is an award certificate for the Air Crew wing " sans stars " . It was earned upon completion of aircrewman training at NAS Miami.

AC3.jpg

Patrick,

Regarding your post number 5. Carrier based Dive bombers and torpedo bombers (serving as horizontal bombers), often attacked ground targets all thru WWII. Former President George H.W. Bush was shot down during a ground attack mission while flying an Avenger as a glide (or horizontal) bomber. Carrier based bombers didn't just operate against Japanese ships. As to PBY's not being engaged in combat with fighters, well thats just not true. Navy partol bombers often engaged in aerial combat with opposing fighters.

I'm not trying to pick your arguments apart, just shed some light on how these aircraft were used. My information is from nearly 50 years of reading about this subject and having talked to former crew menbers of this type aircraft.

Great, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot. Books are good but there is nothing like the Regulations to make sure you have it right. It is interesting to see the badge itself did not actually require any combat missions only being assigned to a combat crew. I would imagine that during the war by the time you were in a combat unit for three months you would have at least three missions under you belt and get the badge with the stars there. Of course this also raises more questions, since the requirement for the badge was three months in a combat unit could it be earned after the war or was there a cut off date for eligibility when the war ended? Also when did the the Navy stop using this badge, only the Marines use it now?

John Cooper

Great posts Patrick & Dan THANKS for sharing!

Kurt this is a great thread except you are promoting me to expand my collecting again to include some of these wings as well... shame on you! lol My wife will not be happy! :lol:

John

Great posts Patrick & Dan THANKS for sharing!

Kurt this is a great thread except you are promoting me to expand my collecting again to include some of these wings as well... shame on you! lol My wife will not be happy! :lol:

John

Glad you like the thread John ! These wings dont seem to get much love from collectors so I thought I would try and get the ball rolling ! :lol:

Kurt

• 1 year later...
05canderetd

Hello. Im new to this site and am learning lots about US WW2 wings. I am a long time Canadian collector and recently acquired a set of USN wings which I am unable to identify and would sure appreciate any assistance from the forum members.

It is a USN navy aircrew wing done in one piece silver metal without the separately affixed 3 stars at the top. It is about 1.75 inches wide and is curved. Interestly the back bears a serial number and is maker marked "Canada Century" which sure is an interesting name ... I can't find anything on this company in any listing of WW2 trademarks.

It is not a clutch back and has two prong or hook type fastening devices.

I have attached a photo.

Thank you very much,

Harry

post-12018-1274458916.jpg

post-12018-1274459434.jpg

Good thread!

Here's a variation that hasn't been shown yet, double riveted but the rivets are larger than the Balfour style (I think ). My other example like this has no stars but a dark finish/patina.

Regards

Mike

post-11042-1274503074.jpg

roadrunner

Here are two Combat Aircrew.

Both pinback.

One AMICO Sterling, the other only marked Sterling.

Michael

post-8324-1274555184.jpg

• 10 months later...
I'm not sure this wing will be of interest.....

A_crew_F.jpg A_Crew_B.jpg

Its a contract I have not seen before! Thanks for posting it,

Kurt, here's an H&H variant. In Post #3, you have a nice H&H example displaying lots of detail in the feathering. This one is rather plain. But the reverse, including placement of the hallmarks, looks nearly identical to yours. Russ

IMG_2240_crop.jpg

IMG_2234_crop.jpg

Here's a Gemsco variant with two hallmarks and a STERLING mark on the reverse. Possibly post-war 1950's vintage?

IMG_2237_crop.jpg

IMG_2236_crop.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Patchcollector

Old thread I know but while doing some research I found some info to supplement this thread.

The Navy stopped using the badge in 1978.Marines are still authorized to wear it.However,in 1994 Naval personnel who flew as Aircrew with Marine Corps units in Combat were again authorized to wear it.

Here is a live link to the excellent PDF that Patrick pointed to:

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF

It is an excellent illustrated reference that shows the "Evolution of Naval Wings".

Old thread I know but while doing some research I found some info to supplement this thread.

The Navy stopped using the badge in 1978.Marines are still authorized to wear it.However,in 1994 Naval personnel who flew as Aircrew with Marine Corps units in Combat were again authorized to wear it.

Here is a live link to the excellent PDF that Patrick pointed to:

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF

It is an excellent illustrated reference that shows the "Evolution of Naval Wings".

thank you for that link!!!

-Brian

Patchcollector

thank you for that link!!!

-Brian

You are welcome!Thanks to Patrick for initially pointing me to it!

It is a great reference.I saved a copy of it onto my Computer.

• 1 month later...

Great looking wings.One of my favorites.Somewhere I have an old Marine Corps recruiting booklet from the 70's.There is a picture of a Marine wearing these on his green's.I'll post if I can find it.