WWII Contracts and Regulations US NAVY COMBAT AIRCREW WINGS

KASTAUFFER

I really like this thread and am glad to see it pop up again with these beautiful boxed examples!!

I also have an identical pair of these Canadian made wings. I still have not heard anything about this unusual variation. Anybody have any info on this Canadian made USN wing??

Thanks,

Chris

Hello. Im new to this site and am learning lots about US WW2 wings. I am a long time Canadian collector and recently acquired a set of USN wings which I am unable to identify and would sure appreciate any assistance from the forum members.

It is a USN navy aircrew wing done in one piece silver metal without the separately affixed 3 stars at the top. It is about 1.75 inches wide and is curved. Interestly the back bears a serial number and is maker marked "Canada Century" which sure is an interesting name ... I can't find anything on this company in any listing of WW2 trademarks.

It is not a clutch back and has two prong or hook type fastening devices.

I have attached a photo.

Thank you very much,

Harry

post-10825-0-72892100-1419764302.jpg

• 1 month later...
BrownshoeSailor

Having read this thread from a Google search, I joined your forums to update the discussion.
Here's what I have to add: In 2000, the Marine Commandant authorized aircrew who served in Navy ASW helicopter squadrons HS-2, HS-4, HS-6 and HS-8 between Oct 65 to Mar 68, and participated in qualifying combat SAR flights, to wear the CAI.

I served in all but HS-4, but my combat SAR time was in HS-6 during the Fall of 1966. Those of us who have received them wear the three gold stars. In my case at least, I have 3 strike/flight air medals (20 hours flight time in combat zone for each one - a "being there" medal, not a combat V Air Medal), and made four flights to an area 25 to 30 miles inside North Vietnam, in the mountains east of Thanh Hoa; the rest of the time was on North SAR station of Haiphong.

Here's the skinny on the authorization:

*/From: CDR L.L. Parthemer USN (Ret.)/**/
/**/
/**/To: ALCON/**/
/**//**/
/**/Subj: USMC COMBAT AIRCREW INSIGNIA, ELIGIBILITY FOR/**/
/**//**/
/**/
/**/The Commandant of the Marine Corps (ASM), in response to Chief of Naval Personnel letter 1650 dated 29 Nov 00 has approved, the eligibility for the USMC Combat Aircrew Insignia with three stars, for all qualifying personnel as follows:/**/
/**//**/
/**/All Enlisted Aircrewmen that participated in CSAR operations, and met the requirements delineated in paragraph 3310 of MCO 1000.6g, while attached to and serving in HS-2, HS-4, HS-6 and HS-8 from October 1965 to March 1968, HU-1/HC-1 from January 1966 to September 1967 and HC-7 from September 1967 to February 1973./**/
/**//**/
/**/
/**//**/
/**/Eligibility must be confirmed and basically requires that you and or your crew fired upon the enemy or were fired upon while conducting CSAR operations./**/
/**//**/
/**/This approval came about through the efforts of Captain Jeff Wiant USN (Ret.) and RADM Bill Terry USN (Ret.) and has resulted in a most fitting tribute to those crewmen that went in harms way on many occasions as a matter of routine. Not all endings were successful for the potential rescuee or the crew./**/
/**//**/
/**/We must now go about identifying, locating and confirming qualifications of Aircrewmen as rapidly as possible in preparation for an awarding ceremony to be held in San Diego, California at a time and place to be determined./**/
/**//**/
/**/It is expected that each squadron or squadron alumni would take appropriate action to identify and locate their qualified former aircrews providing that information to HC-7 Alumni at P.O. Box 974, Bonita, CA 91908-0974 or Via E-mail to [email protected]/**/
/**//**/
/**/All inputs, questions and comments are welcome./**/
/**//**/
/**/Most Sincerely, //s// L.L. Parthemer

/*

You can find information on this, and on my own experiences at the following URLs:

http://raunchyredskins.us/ (HS-6 unofficial squadron site)

http://raunchyredskins.us/Past%20Reunions/Pensacola09/Aircrew/CombatWings.htm

http://raunchyredskins.us/Operations/Combat%20SAR.htm

- in particular see this entry on that page:

bullet *_12-16 October 1966_ -*

Lcdr Dave Murphy <http://raunchyredskins.us/Squadronmates/Dave%20Murphy.htm>/Ens Ed Marsyla <http://raunchyredskins.us/Squadronmates/Ed%20Marsyla.htm>/ADJ1 "Vic" Vicari <http://raunchyredskins.us/Squadronmates/Vic_Vicari.htm>/AX2 Steve Caple <http://raunchyredskins.us/Squadronmates/Steve%20Caple.htm> participate in the multi-day/multi-sortie "Shining Brass" Special Ops effort to rescue Lt Deane Woods shot down on 12 October after being hit by ground fire. While hovering to extract the "Shining Brass" on 16 October, Indian Gal 69 has the #1 engine shot out by enemy fire after boarding only six team members - the crew successfully flies out of the hover on a single-engine and heads toward the beach - the helo is again heavily damaged by AAA fire as it goes "feet wet" - the tail rotor flight controls are severely damaged but crew manages to reach the open sea and successfully ditches. During the egress to the safety of the sea, all crewmembers and "Shining Brass" teams members are wounded. Read rescue synopsis <http://raunchyredskins.us/Operations/Awards/HS-6%20Awards%2066-18.pdf>. View pictures of Indian Gal 69's emergency water landing <http://raunchyredskins.us/Operations/IG%2069%20Down/IG_69_Down.htm>, crew rescue and subsequent sinking of the helo. Read Steve Caple's recollection <http://raunchyredskins.us/Operations/IG%2069%20Down/IG_69_Down_Caple.htm> of the rescue attempt. Read excerpt <http://raunchyredskins.us/LNMB%20Rescues/Woods.pdf> from "Leave No Man Behind - the Saga of Combat Search and Rescue" by George Galdorisi and Tom Phillips. This excerpt used with the gracious permission of the authors.

http://raunchyredskins.us/Operations/IG%2069%20Down/IG_69_Down_Caple.htm
- correction: later learned the big (over 500 feet) frigate was the USS Halsey,
then listed as DLG-23, later reclassed as CG-23

http://raunchyredskins.us/Squadronmates/Steve%20Caple.htm

I'm not sure where "Shining Brass" came from. At the time I thought I heard it called a "White Rabbit" mission, a name I thought particularly apt. Other sources refer to the general class of rescue ops as "Bright Light".

From further reading I discovered that the leader of the Bright Light team was Dick Meadows, a special forces legend, who had already led Recon Team Iowa on several missions into North Vietnam and Laos - later direct commissioned as a captain, retired as major; there's a bronze statue of him at Fort Bragg.

Sincerely, Steve Caple

PS: the hole in the bottom of the "9" was the (37mm?) shell that came in and blew up less than 5 ft from me, kneeling in the back of the cargo door with an M-60

post-157675-0-00477100-1424310799.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
rustywings

Not exactly a wing, but this WWII era USN Combat Aircrew Honor Student bracelet certainly fits into the realm... and adds a little insight to the training behind those wings.

photo (8).JPG

photo (6).JPG

• 9 months later...
Flightpath

Hi,

these are my WW2 AMICO USN Combat Aircrew wings, got them fresh today ($38), they are well used (just the way I like them) and have probably seen some service. I think it shows that they were not a seller's put together!..........

Hope you like them, cheers, John

post-105780-0-76908100-1493887941_thumb.jpg

I have two Navy Air Crew badges in my collection, an AMICO similar to ones shown on other posts in this thread, and a VANGUARD that is a new variety to this thread.

Both are full sized STERLING marked.

Both are pin backs.

Both have three stars.

Both have gold central disks with the anchor, and both have gold stars.

The AMICO has its central disk and stars riveted in place, the VANGUARD has the disk riveted and the stars attached by spreading their prongs on the back.

The AMICO does not have berries, the VANGUARD does have berries.

The AMICO is nicely made, the VANGUARD is much fancier in that it has every feather nicely detailed/engraved.

The VANGUARD hallmark has the number 154 centered under the word VANGUARD

My impression is that the AMICO is definitely WW2 vintage.

My impression of the VANGUARD is that is could be anything from WW2 to Korean War in vintage. I would very much appreciate any thoughts on either badge but especially on the VANGUARD one.

Below are photos of the front and back of each. In the following post are close ups of the backs of each. I can provide more photos if it would help anyone.

post-166073-0-33820700-1493908665_thumb.jpg

post-166073-0-44673300-1493908666_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure but I think USMC Warrant Officer Observers in AH-1J and OV-10 aircraft may have qualified for the combat aircrew wing. Have a photo of a retired CWO4 wearing one with Para wing on his ball cap.

• 1 year later...
horridohutch

Good thread!

Here's a variation that hasn't been shown yet, double riveted but the rivets are larger than the Balfour style (I think ). My other example like this has no stars but a dark finish/patina.

Regards

Mike

Here are a set of Aircrew wings OP was 2010 from Mike in Australia... I copied and pasted his photo here. Does any one know the maker of these wings? I just bought a set today and am hoping to figure this out. Thanks in advance!

post-133566-0-85140600-1531621043.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here is one I was about to list and noticed it was missing the AIR CREW text. Any idea the age of this badge? Thanks for looking.

post-134470-0-49449300-1544175550.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Here’s another stamped Vanguard variation with berries and fine feathering and a riveted anchor. 1/2 ribbons are for size reference.

aa1491cd9ee8ac7cc28ec8cd67e0414b.jpg

73b9c3a205b47d68ff20e76e97e96fa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed this tread. My father was awarded the Combat Aircrew Medal sometime in 1944. He told me the stars represented combat air to air, air to sea, and air to land. 

He recounted one time over Japan, in a dive, both he and the pilot passed out with the pilot coming to just in time to pull up.

Over 3 conflicts and 29 years of service he amassed over 65 medals and awards. His most cherished were the Air Crew Medal and the CIB. 

rathbonemuseum.com

After reading this thread and noting Patrick's observation about "you only see zero or three stars", i have a theory. Looking at the award document from Kurt and the award notification from Steve Caple, the stars are essentially awarded "upon later review" and therefore are awarded in a collective announcement. Therefore they are not awarded "as we go". So in sum, most combat crew after a tour did qualify for the max three stars and they were awarded at once. It was probably relatively rare for a person on an active combat tour to not receive the max. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, it´s good to keep this thread going...... so just for your discussion:

If the below information is correct then wings issued somewhere between 18 May 1943 and 30 December 1944 should have silver and not gold centre discs. (like the two shown in this thread made in Canada).

Does anyone have wings with a silver disc? I though I had seen one just today but the gold had only worn off (it still showed on the back).

"During World War II, numerous fleet requests occurred to recognise the work of the enlisted aircrew members flying in combat, the result was the creation of the Air Crew Insignia on 18 May 1943. While primarily an enlisted insignia, officers were eligible if they met the same criteria of Bureau of Naval Personnel (BUPERS) Circular Letter 90-43. The design was essentially the same as today's insignia except all pewter silver with no gold. A subsequent BUPERS Circular Letter 395-44 dated 30 Dec 1944, changed the design to the same as today with the modification of the gold center disc." -Wikipedia.

• 1 month later...

Just got these and while doing the basic research I found this thread :) Perfect 🤩
Dont see anything marked 22 -M

So these two sets are reported to be 1950s (pin back) & 1960s (Clutch back)

Any Corrections appreciated

1950s ?
PIN BACK

22 - M
STERLING
MIRROR BACK FINISH, a few stars may have been lost ?

Air_Crew_pin_1950s_2.jpg.249267a1f941fe69363b0d5f461b2d67.jpg

==============================================================================
NEXT

==============================================================================

1960s ?
CLUTCH BACK

GEMSCO
N.Y.
STERLING

Air_Crew_clutch_1960s_2.jpg.6af61bfe0d143fb2d98c7b188aedbc3e.jpg

One of the stars seems to be permanently mounted ? Does not move like the other two and does not have the prongs

The 22M is the later alpha/numeric code for NS Meyers.  Probably used in the mid-1960's.  The GEMSCO maybe a bit earlier around KW time period.  Could even be late WW2ish. 

31 minutes ago, pfrost said:

The 22M is the later alpha/numeric code for NS Meyers.  Probably used in the mid-1960's.  The GEMSCO maybe a bit earlier around KW time period.  Could even be late WW2ish. 

Thanks, 👍 Looks like I got it completely backwards,🤪 I just ASSUMED the pin back was the earlier badge

There is often some confusion about when the various attachments were used, especially about what was used during WWII.  In general, both clutch back and pin back finding were used--clutch backs were invented and first used in the late 20's if I remember correctly.

During WWII both were used, and in many of the Government contracts for insignia, clutch back attachments were specifically listed one of the specifications.  Although, frankly, I suspect no one really spent much time worrying about that.

Various companies also sold insignia directly to the soldiers and sailors and you could get these made anyway you wanted. In fact, anecdotal evidence suggests that many soldiers/sailors preferred the clutch back devices because they were easier to attache and align on the uniform.

Making things even more confusing is the fact that many guys had their insignia repaired or converted as they saw fit.

Items like the USN Combat Air Crewman's badge has had a LOOOOONNNNGGGG life in the US Navy (~1943-2023--about 80 years).  First authorized in WWII (1943), I think you still see modern-day sailors earning and wearing this badge.  I suspect that some of the specifics for earning this badge and its stars has changed, but after 80 years and every war participated in the USN since WWII) you are going to find all sorts of variations.

28 minutes ago, pfrost said:

There is often some confusion about when the various attachments were used, especially about what was used during WWII.  In general, both clutch back and pin back finding were used--clutch backs were invented and first used in the late 20's if I remember correctly.

During WWII both were used, and in many of the Government contracts for insignia, clutch back attachments were specifically listed one of the specifications.  Although, frankly, I suspect no one really spent much time worrying about that.

Various companies also sold insignia directly to the soldiers and sailors and you could get these made anyway you wanted. In fact, anecdotal evidence suggests that many soldiers/sailors preferred the clutch back devices because they were easier to attache and align on the uniform.

Making things even more confusing is the fact that many guys had their insignia repaired or converted as they saw fit.

Items like the USN Combat Air Crewman's badge has had a LOOOOONNNNGGGG life in the US Navy (~1943-2023--about 80 years).  First authorized in WWII (1943), I think you still see modern-day sailors earning and wearing this badge.  I suspect that some of the specifics for earning this badge and its stars has changed, but after 80 years and every war participated in the USN since WWII) you are going to find all sorts of variations.

Thanks, Very much appreciated.

I love being able to direct my collecting interest into these specific areas. Helps me to focus
my interest Thanks for taking the time to post that information.

I recently started a NAVY WING collection so these are part of that 👍

Was Expecting a Navy Wing Collection would be easier to finish then
either the Army or Air Force. Especially since I like to research each type
and learn all I can before moving on to the next area, Navy seems to have
less when broken down to specific wars

Yes, the navy collection paradox.  The USN has had probably the longest and most successful aviation component of any military (don't hate me if you are an USAAF guy, but there is a reason why Navy wings are made of gold!! LOL) but they seem to have the most limited number of wing badges and patterns..  Sadly, after 1917 or so, they settled on a wing pattern and really didn't change it much.  WWII introduced berries in the wings and after that, pretty much EVERY USN aviator badge up to present day looks exactly the same from the front. 

If you want to collect Navy pilot badges, your options are limited, especially in regards to USAAC and USAAF stuff.  where there are literally hundreds of patterns and variations to look for.  The other ratings are also pretty limited (flight surgeon, flight nurse, observer, air crewman etc) and some are really rare and hardly ever seen.  There was some relatively uncommon 1/2 wings after WWI and then some more specialized crew badges (navigator, tactical observer, radio operator) after WWII/KW, but those were transitory.  If you are a WWI-WWII collector of USN badges, you are kind of limited to ultra rare or "if you have one, you have them all" type collecting. Unless you collect by maker.

rustywings

Here’s a strange one… It looks like an original USN Aircrew wing altered with seven small dark colored jeweled stones.  

I assume the alteration may have been an effort to turn it into a sweetheart piece?  Or might the seven added stones represent some personal flight experience or aviation-related significance?  (This piece came from an estate clearing near Marrietta, Georgia.)

B1E85A8F-B018-43E8-9A50-54688E5E8687.jpeg.7e640197efeb47171f293a71f96aaf56.jpegAB31535E-C7FE-4C24-9546-C8A0B0B4300C.jpeg.0903f80f10f0997dd19a50f1005b871a.jpeg