It.A.F. F-104 pilot's "Devil's Hand" helmet

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Hello all,

retrieved from a file disc some photos of former Italian Air Force F-104 pilot once in my collection. Taken at the time when thinking about selling the guy, or a part of its equipment.

Pics are not all of good quality. This HGU-2A/P from "Canada Sierra Co." and mask MBU-3/P from Scott were interesting because of the personalized painting, hand-done on rear of shell. The pilot had gone through a flight accident earlier in his career, resulting in loss of half a finger from left hand.

This had been brought on this (subsequent) HGU-2A/P helmet, together with a reminder about handling the flight controls... ;)

Helmet shell was the standard resin-based material, the dual visor cover was of the more recent plastic - a one-piece model.

post-151851-0-11497600-1401644567.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The MBU-3/P mask from Sierra engineering was in exceptional conditions. Complete with CRU-60/P connector,

post-151851-0-88774100-1401644985.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The whole pilot when still in my collection is visible in the 2nd part of topic (Flight Clothing) "Collection from Italy - It.A.F. F-104 Pilot"

post-151851-0-52558000-1401645143.jpg

Fabric label under mask's straps:

post-151851-0-88316900-1401645187.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Somehow a "Greetings from Italy", as mirrored on the chromed "Hardman" bayonet receiver... :love: :love:

post-151851-0-96269200-1401645397.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The mannequin's closest result to that real F-104 pilot, when wearing this helmet years ago.

Thanks all of you for watching!!

Franco.

post-151851-0-46206400-1401645827.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Two very last shots:

hand-painted (not a stencil) on the visor cover, the official insignia of 6° Stormo "Diavoli Rossi" (6th Wing, the Red Devils):

post-151851-0-94627000-1401653388.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Instead here, about half remaining of the official Italian Air Force badge (in this case an adhesive decal):

Greetings all of you - Franco.

post-151851-0-86189400-1401653626.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Thanks Sabrejet and Phil :)

Just an addition: the owner of this set up when back in 1964-65 was flying F-84F Thunderstreaks, was among the very first (possibly the first ever) and few Italian pilots in having clearance to fly the Republic F-105 Thunderchief during exchanges with USAAF at Bitburg AFB, West Germany.

The Aeronautica Militare (Italian Air Force) however, never had subsequently this airplane in service.

Franco.

• 3 months later...

Talked to a friend collector who saw this topic, and asked me whether this MBU-3/P mask was original to helmet. Sure it was, even if MBU-5/Ps were so common around at the time.

IT.A.F especially, widely used this sub-variant of the glorious MS-22001 basic model into the early '80s, together with the MBU-5/Ps.

Reportedly, some pilots still preferred it even in the early '90s due to its comfort when worn. The supposedly perfect MBU-12/P wasn't always wellcome in this respect.

Cannot currently find a spectacular shot of the dress room at an Italian air base - taken in 1989, with some 15+ flight helmets and masks hanging from the wall.

Helmets are a mix of HGU-26 single visors, HGU-26 dual visors and a few HGU-55s. Believe the older MBU-3/Ps masks still could number around 5-6. The rest is some MBU-5/Ps and a few MBU-12/Ps.

Photo is from a aviation magazine, I'll post here when scavenged in all my "garbage" of books/magazines.

Franco.

• 4 months later...

Been in the home of the guy who purchased the helmet back ago.

Helmet and mask still in good shape, on the shelf also some -33/Ps and a couple -55/Ps. His greatest wish would be to get at least one Italian-made (by "Giusti" firm) P-4B, but I believe it's a very hard task!!

Franco.

• 8 months later...

just a quick thought at when such things were possible and were allowed. Different times, objects, materials and colors.

In some sense (in my opinion), rather "sad" today with those anonymous helmets - all identical, compact, ugly in their shape, more or less a dull grey, the least of features being added to the shell, even the oxy. mask looks much more like a protective mask for spray painting with a side-attached hose.

Some hundreds light-years from those. In my personal taste a HGU-55/P (basic variant) + MBU-12/P mask must be present in my collection as a worldwide used model through some 25 years, but nothing more.

Cannot figure out this painting these days.

post-151851-0-35190700-1443949645.jpg

• 4 months later...

Ciao Franco !

Nice shell !!!

I agree with u, French Gallet + UL-21 mask & HGU-55 + MBU-20/P are not as attractive as this one with artwork !

MBU-5 & MS were clearly looking more aggressive than actual ones !

I got 2 camo painted 55, a gray one is not interesting...

Hello Ultra,

yes I agree 100%. I have not to think when back years ago I came top close to a original, stunning tiger-painted HGU-2A/P straight from a former F-104 guy of I.A.F. who flew it in the early '80s, it was a matter of a couple days too late.

Hand-brush with acrylic enamels, a 'strange'-looking tiger head having more of a lynx or similar - but a fantastic thing, moreover having survived a real emergency ejection during take-off with the plane exploding in a nearby field. Outcome for the helmet, just a small cracking in left side visor and housing.

That paint job frankly was not comparable to my tiger head reproductions I've made along the time using airbrush for collectors' helmets, anyway an appeal wich nothing modern could replicate.