U.S. Army Brassards & Armbands 1898 to 1918 Part 2

world war I nerd

I picked up a WWI Enlisted U.S. Air Service uniform grouping today and this white cotton cloth armband with black painted prop/wing design with "302" was included. Any help with further identification or purpose would be greatly appreciated.

photo (23).JPG

photo (24).JPG

WoW. In all my years of collecting aviation, I have never seen its equivalent. Do you have any names or even initials with that uniform? I have some resources that may list EM personnel

rustywings

WoW. In all my years of collecting aviation, I have never seen its equivalent. Do you have any names or even initials with that uniform? I have some resources that may list EM personnel

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your efforts to assist. Unfortunately, I'm not certain who actually possessed the Air Service related armband. The box of WWI stuff I purchased has items belonging to both "J. B. Day" and "Paul W. Day." I'm assuming they were brothers? Nothing else in the box is marked or indicates "302nd."

photo (26).JPG

photo (28).JPG

photo (29).JPG

Tennessee

I just love WW I groups like this- I bet you're right that these were brothers, but I wonder if they were from Virginia since J.B. apparently ended up in the mental hospital in Charlottesville. There would be so much interesting detail in that history! Also, what a rare unit history was among his papers- I've been collecting WWI AEF histories for a long time, and I've never seen that one. Is there a roster in the history that might include J.B. The brassard is cool and rare too, but it's the tip of the iceberg on this group! Thanks for sharing it!

David

rustywings

Hello David,

Thank you for your expressed interest in this grouping. When I return home this weekend, I'll check that squadron history pamphlet for a unit roster and let you know. There's more stuff in the box, including britches, a web belt and several ammo pouches which I need to closely check for possible additional clues as well.

Russ

rustywings

I just love WW I groups like this- I bet you're right that these were brothers, but I wonder if they were from Virginia since J.B. apparently ended up in the mental hospital in Charlottesville. There would be so much interesting detail in that history! Also, what a rare unit history was among his papers- I've been collecting WWI AEF histories for a long time, and I've never seen that one. Is there a roster in the history that might include J.B. The brassard is cool and rare too, but it's the tip of the iceberg on this group! Thanks for sharing it!

David

There is indeed a lengthy roster of Officers & Enlisted personnel included in the 800th Aero Repair Squadron (Formerly the 106th Aero Squadron) pamphlet history, but neither J.B. Day nor Paul W. Day are mentioned. I did find a small brass belt buckle with "J.B. Day - A.E.F. 1917-19" stamped on the front, but nothing else to further identify the 302 Aero Squadron armband...

photo (32).JPG

Hey Russ,

That's another cool item- I'll bet the belt buckle was struck w/ one of the dog tag kits as the lettering and numbering look about the same size. I wonder how many of those guys made belt buckles like this one ! Was there a name in the gas mask id card? That really is a rare repair squadron unit history- did it specify whether or not they were doing salvage and reclamation efforts after the war was over? It was also neat that the soldier who had the uniform even added the blue OSS to the gold ones- I've never seen that done before. I do think there was a big aviation component in the 3rd Army Circus after the war and I wonder if the brassard had something to do with that event!

Cool stuff- and thanks for sharing it!!

David

rustywings

Hey Russ,

That's another cool item- I'll bet the belt buckle was struck w/ one of the dog tag kits as the lettering and numbering look about the same size. I wonder how many of those guys made belt buckles like this one ! Was there a name in the gas mask id card? That really is a rare repair squadron unit history- did it specify whether or not they were doing salvage and reclamation efforts after the war was over? It was also neat that the soldier who had the uniform even added the blue OSS to the gold ones- I've never seen that done before. I do think there was a big aviation component in the 3rd Army Circus after the war and I wonder if the brassard had something to do with that event!

Cool stuff- and thanks for sharing it!!

David

David, the gas mask id card contains all of its patch and pin components, but has never been filled out. The Squadron History contains approximately 47 pages of text and a couple of squadron group photos. There's reference to the trip overseas; keeping up with airplane maintenance demands during the war; the Armistice; and the thinning and reorganization of Headquarters Flight and Flight B after the Armistice. I have not read the history in its entirety.

• 1 month later...
rustbucket

Any insight on what an "E" brassard is for? I didn't see this discussed in the thread, unless I missed it.

Thanks,

post-124022-0-95981000-1467378801.jpg

Any insight on what an "E" brassard is for? I didn't see this discussed in the thread, unless I missed it.

Thanks,

Take a look at Post #207. WWI Nerd suggests "Embarkation"...

Hey RC,

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that coat for sale...

• 2 months later...
world war I nerd

This image cropped from a larger photo shows two members of the American Friends Service Committee, which was a Quaker offshoot of the American Red Cross. The volunteer on the left is wearing the American Friends insignia on what appears to be a white brassard. The volunteer to his right has opted to sew the American Friends insignia directly to the left sleeve of his coat.

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-99755200-1475327166_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Close ups of the American Friends insignia from above, as well as another that was sewn onto the left sleeve of an American Friend's coat that was offered for sale by Bay State Militaria not too long ago.

post-5143-0-98655500-1475327386_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd add a couple armbands I've owned for about 40 years. Both came pinned to separate sleeves on a WWI tunic with very little wear and no other insignia. Seller stated it had hung in one of his family's closets for many years but he had no information on where it came from or who owned it. Believe the forum has settled the question of the USNA being for Draftees, but perhaps the "SP" might create a little discussion. The material for the SP has a slightly less tight weave than the USNA. Both are close in color. Cheers.

post-161300-0-75740700-1482107532.jpg

post-161300-0-61678300-1482107536.jpg

post-161300-0-68593500-1482107537.jpg

post-161300-0-62488700-1482107576.jpg

post-161300-0-63794100-1482107583.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

III Army Corps officer wearing a General Staff brassard whose color or colors are unidentifiable. According to AEF regulations:

The General Staff of General Headquarters wore a red, white & blue brassard with the insignia of the General Staff in gold

The General Staff of an Army wore a red & white brassard, also with the General Staff insignia

The General Staff of a Corps wore a blue & white brassard, also with the General Staff insignia

The General Staff of a Division wore a red brassard, also with the General Staff insignia

Any guesses as to what color this guy's brassard may have been ?

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-14035100-1482927428_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A truncated red & white Postal Service brassard as worn by postal service employees assigned to the AEF.

post-5143-0-04440700-1482927608_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Red Cross nurse wearing a brassard with a single illegible word printed on it. To my eyes it looks like it could be one either two vastly different words ... "Delaware" or "Lieutenant"

What do you all think?

world war I nerd

Sorry, got ahead of myself and hit "add reply" instead of "choose files". Anyway, here's the image ... Delaware, Lieutenant or something else?

post-5143-0-21252900-1482927950_thumb.jpg

Regarding your 6/1/14 photo of Billy Mitchell with unknown brassard, I would hazard the mystery item is not a military related brassard. He is resting his right hand on what appears to be a brush jump for horses inside a board fenced show ring. If this pic was taken at a horse show, what he is likely wearing is his assigned competitor number for that show on a thin sheet of cardstock .

Horse shows on Army posts were a common social event preWWII. The Cavalry School even issued two separate publications on the topic in its usual soft yellow cover/black tape spine format: 1925 "Horse Show Management" and 1935 "Horsemanship & Horsemastership" Vol III, Part 5 "Horse Shows". I seem to recall the latter even suggesting that MPs be used to control the entry gate into the show ring.

world war I nerd

Stable Sgt, It never crossed my mind that the brassard could be non-military. In the absence of any contrary information, your assessment of the "unknown brassard" could very well be correct.

Even though it took 2 1/2 years for someone to pose a theory or hazard a guess about that brassard, I'm grateful for the fact that folks are still looking at this thread and adding useful information to it. Thank you very for your informed reply.

Cobra 6 Actual

Even though it took 2 1/2 years for someone to pose a theory or hazard a guess about that brassard, I'm grateful for the fact that folks are still looking at this thread and adding useful information to it. Thank you very for your informed reply.

Please don't take our lack of response to your thread as lack of interest. For myself, I always look at your postings and always learn something. I'm sure many other forum members would respond similarly.

world war I nerd

Cobra 6 Actual, Thanks for the sympathy.

Sorry if it sounded as if I was moaning because nobody looked at this thread. The above post was made more out of surprise that a question I posed such a long time ago about an unknown brassard was finally answered. Thanks to all for looking at or reading or responding to or teaching me something new about any of my typically very long-winded posts.

Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual, Thanks for the sympathy.

Sorry if it sounded as if I was moaning because nobody looked at this thread. The above post was made more out of surprise that a question I posed such a long time ago about an unknown brassard was finally answered. Thanks to all for looking at or reading or responding to or teaching me something new about any of my typically very long-winded posts.

Actually, it wasn't sympathy, WWI Nerd ... just a simple statement of fact: you have an impressive and comprehensive knowlege of a broad range of militaria topics. Thank you for sharing that!