Some photos of a patch/sew shop here is Kabul

I just wanted to show what a current patch shop looks like here in Afghanistan. This is just one of the handful we have here where I am in Kabul. You can also see my dilemma of trying to figure out what patches to buy.

I want to keep the photos large enough to see so there will be a number of posts...enjoy.

post-3697-0-87448700-1401602622.jpg

post-3697-0-94692200-1401602696.jpg

Collecting 101st Airborne Militaria from 1942 to Today! Airborne! Air Assault!

Also interested in 14th Armored Cavalry, stationed in Germany in the early/mid 1950s.

Here are some more shots...

post-3697-0-08044900-1401603054.jpg

post-3697-0-86140700-1401603073.jpg

Also interested in 14th Armored Cavalry, stationed in Germany in the early/mid 1950s.

Some wall and display case close-ups...

post-3697-0-32144000-1401603160.jpg

post-3697-0-80470400-1401603201.jpg

And a few more...

post-3697-0-72458100-1401603265.jpg

post-3697-0-43428600-1401603289.jpg

If it were me I would be buying all I could.Just imagine being in Saigon during the Vietnam war and having the foresight to buy up patches.I would start with the actual unit patches as first choices,then the "novelty" pieces.Any kind of "Special Forces" pieces would be worth more.US only units would be more desirable than the multinational or foreign units,at least to Americans.

I would try and establish working relationships with some of the shop owners/workers,hoping to get better prices for buying "in bulk" rather than by piece.It appears that US military operations are winding down in that region of the world so I would imagine there will be less and less to choose from as time goes by.

One thought:do any of the vendors have their designs on paper?If so,perhaps you could get copies of them for reference.Also,I would get as much documentation as possible on when and where you picked up the pieces for future provenance.Take lots of photos of the shops,workers making the patches,and of course the patches themselves!

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

Of course it would also be fun to convince them to make a patch of a non existent unit that "will be arriving some time soon." Buy some, and then see how many turn up on the collector's market. I bet a number of folks over there will buy them and resell them here in the states.

Pretty cool. Out of curiosity, are there any masonic or shriner-themed patches? There is a long tradition of masonic lodges operating at military bases, and I was curious if the locals make patches or other knick-knacks for the guys.

You can give the guys a drawing or example you want and they can make the patch. Also the quality is pretty good, much better than at the start of the war. I've already made up some odd and rare patches in multicam green, see photo of WW2 English made 101st Eagle below. I want to make some WW2 ghost Division patches, maybe I'll do those soon too.

As for masonic or shriner-themed patches, there may be some I just don't know what they look like. As I said they can do anything as they don't follow copyright laws here, so anything you want made into a patch they can usually do.

post-3697-0-22785900-1401681762.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that Secret Squirrel has taken on a modern meaning.

Can anyone tell me what that is ?

Secret squirrel mission essentially means doing something without anyone knowing. Such as running to the PX when not allowed, acquiring equipment, or just as simple as getting away from higher ups.

Often my section sergeant will ask me if we want to go on a secret squirrel mission to give "white space" training on pyro or off road driving.

No idea where it comes from, but I've hear it since before 2008. I would assume the metaphor comes from how squirrels stash their nuts.

Either way, the term is widely used to describe unauthorized adventures.

Hope this helps

"Remember Bataan, Never Forget"

Actively looking for U.S. Army Run/Swim/Walk For Your Life patches.

Treasurer, ASMIC

Area V VP, ASMIC

www.asmic.org

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gif

Looks like a good way to burn up a paycheck or two!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

If it were me I would be buying all I could.Just imagine being in Saigon during the Vietnam war and having the foresight to buy up patches.I would start with the actual unit patches as first choices,then the "novelty" pieces.Any kind of "Special Forces" pieces would be worth more.US only units would be more desirable than the multinational or foreign units,at least to Americans.

funny i was thinking the same things.......as I would be willing to be a lot of the patch collectors on this forum have been

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

There were Americans who were buying up patches in Saigon before the war ended. In fact they made a business of it, selling patches that they got for 25 to 50 cents for a whole $2.00 stateside.

The thing is, there were not that many collectors with the foresight to be buying them up from the people who were shipping them over. Hindsight is so much the clearer.

I know an Air Force veteran who talked about the vendors outside the main gate at Udorn with stacks of patches on their tables. They didn't buy any of them, especially since they were so common. I told them if they had bought a stack of them and sat on them for 20 years they probably could have paid for their kid's college education!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

good to see a few Aussie SF patches in there as well

'A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon'

Always looking for Vietnam War US Special Forces/MACV-SOG jungle shirts/uniforms and OG107 Shirts/uniforms.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

What's the average price of a patch? Bobgee

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

The days of mythical "dirt cheap" theater made patches are pretty much a thing of the distant past. Last time I was in Afghanistan most patches were between $5 (for quite small ones) to about $15 depending on the stitch count.

The perception often seems to be that since these patches are being made in a third world country they must be selling for pennies, which really isn't true.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

I agree with vzemke, prices range from $2 to $5, with the higher being the average. I was buying patches way back in OIF1 in Kuwait for a couple bucks each so these new prices hurt. That doesn’t mean though I'm not buying loads of them. I have become friendly with a few of the dealers and they have cut me some pretty good deals. Also with us pulling out at the end of the year, I use that as leverage too to get me better prices when I haggle. I've never seen a $15 patch. I'm having special patches made for me for $4 to $5, like the 101st Eagle in my post above.

Out here in the western frontier, patches go from $2 to $4. I had a pile of hat patches made for $4 apiece for a friend, they come from the same shop as above. The vendors are getting squimish about the Americans leaving, so they are starting to dump their stocks. If you have patches made, they like to go no less than 10 pieces per order. The cool thing is when they misspell their own country, that makes for a very cheap novelty patch. I also got some mistakes that never were cut, they are still on the roll.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

Wow, sounds like you are getting better prices than I was at Bagram a few years ago. Division patches started at about $4-5 and went up depending on how complicated the design was. It wasn't unheard of for more ornate "pocket patch"/novelty style stuff to break $10. The big sewn shop on that base was run by third country nationals, Uzbek or something like that. They weren't cheap nor overly easy to work with as I remember it. Defiantly not run by Afghanis. The main bazzar on Bagram was never open when I was visiting there. There was another smaller bazzar at the entrance to Camp Montrand which was open to everyone (while the camp itself was not). They had at least two folks who sold patches, but they were all made off site. Most were $5 each, if I recall correctly.

I only made it there a few times, so prices might have gotten better had I begun a working relationship with them, as I was able to do in Iraq earlier. I do however remember that I was able to buy a whole bunch of Afghan National Army patches at a ANA base way out in Khowst Province for 2 for $3, now that was more like it!

Looking back on it, it seems like if Afghans were making the patches they were more reasonably priced.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

• 6 months later...

Pretty cool. Out of curiosity, are there any masonic or shriner-themed patches? There is a long tradition of masonic lodges operating at military bases, and I was curious if the locals make patches or other knick-knacks for the guys.

Hi Nack! Here is a photo of the Camp Alamo Sew Shop. If you look along the left side of the photo, vertically along the edge of the wall partition, you can see some Masonic patches. So they did make some. Mark

post-152930-0-41480100-1420597532.jpg

Hi Nack! Here is a photo of the Camp Alamo Sew Shop. If you look along the left side of the photo, vertically along the edge of the wall partition, you can see some Masonic patches. So they did make some. Mark

Ha! Too cool, Mark. Are you still out there? I'd be interested in a few of these patches.