The worst memorial ever...II !

Sabrejet

Following on from Jon Gawne's thread about the dreadful new KW memorial, this newly unveiled British D-Day memorial, which also commemorates our US, Canadian and French allies, isn't too clever either! It tries to be much too "arty" and in so doing completely misses the point! :o

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/479284/EU-funded-D-Day-memorial-in-Southsea-blasted-as-hideous

d-day-sculture-2.jpeg

Yup, hate when that happens someone tries to be artsy then it just misses the point. Looks pretty weird.

-Dave

Yup, hate when that happens someone tries to be artsy then it just misses the point. Looks pretty weird.

-Dave

Ain't that the truth!? :wacko:

I understand the intended symbolism, but to the casual observer it doesn't exactly scream GOLD...JUNO...SWORD...OMAHA...UTAH...does it?!

Garandomatic

Family business was once in a competition to build a memorial. Our proposal was an entire infantry squad at rest, each 8' tall, and a bronze helmet for every single one of the 4500 or so from that county (county of a major city) with the man's name on it. They opted for a giant star and some oil derrick looking thing, and I don't think it has been finished yet, and it's been over ten years. No accounting for taste, I suppose. I think ours would have been cool.

Now, that being said, if they ever decide to put statues on top of those chunks of rock, I have always been proud of this:

http://vdha.us/content144.html

Dad's business partner sculpted the heads, I did almost everything else on the figures. Boots, individual pieces of the M56 gear, bayonets, etc. Another sculptor did the dog. It was a very, very fun Summer to work on that project.

Old Marine

Were they trying to commemorate the Mulberries? I have to agree with Ian, the memorial that Garandomatic worked on is good looking with a clear message. Nice Work.

As D-Day memorials go, your national one at Bedford, Va. takes some beating!

4745801849_5ff82ff34b.jpgd-day-statue.jpg

Were they trying to commemorate the Mulberries? I have to agree with Ian, the memorial that Garandomatic worked on is good looking with a clear message. Nice Work.

Looks just like a bunch of cardboard boxes moving along a conveyor belt to me! :o

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Here's a "proper" monument to Lord Lovat who led the commando relief column to "Pegasus Bridge".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644716/Honour-fit-clan-chief-Lord-Mad-Piper-D-Day-New-statue-marks-breathtaking-bravado-commando-stormed-Sword-Beach-70-years-ago.html

Ian, you should put a comparison shot of the statue set up on the way to Utah beach, the Dick Winters one, the difference of the Winters one to the Lovat one would be like chalk and cheese in style, quality and definition between them

Ken

article-2644716-1E5BC81600000578-287_306

I feel like this memorial could be saved by:

1) Inscribing the name of each beach into the stone

2) Placing the flags of the countries that landed on each beach into the respective stones (aka, use the stones as bases for the flags).

It's a thought anyways.

General Apathy

In the first post of this topic Ian added a link to a newspaper article about the monument, here is a sentence from the article

" The top of the stones has been carved with a line which represents the Normandy coastline. "

However it doesn't state if the names of the beaches are included or not ?? Or whether the wavy line is the only identification of the Normandy coastline

Ken