Veterans: Does your uniform still hang in your closet?

gwb123

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Still have a set of class A's, and still weigh the same as when I retired. However, gravity has shifted it! Putting the jacket on, I look like a green tick getting ready to pop! If they were to recall me, they are:

1. Beyond desperate

2. We are loosing. Badly....... LOL

I'm guilty too! I retired from the army in 1991. Still have 3 sets of BDUs, 2 sets of Jungle fatiques, 1 set of Cammies (Erdles), Dress Blues, set of Greens, couple pair of jungle boots, jump boots, Khakies, Tropicals, and all the hats, and berets I wore. Only got rid of 1 set of mint jungles fatiques. I got what they called "Hip Pocket Orders" for recall til age 60 yrs in a national emergency, about 2 years after I retired, so had to keep everything. Army rescinded those about 3 years later. SKIP

Yes. Two sets of Air Force dress blues because I retired just after the transition to the new uniform began.

Also, I have my original web gear and helmet -- which is post Vietnam and Pre-Desert Storm.

Was discharged from my 4 years active duty in July 1980 at Ft. Bragg. My kahki's have hung in the closet ever since just the way I took them off that day. My dress greens are there too. I have a duffle bag of my fatigues, still starched, in the attic. Boots and low quarters are in a box with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I left the Army at the end of 2003. My class A's have literally been hanging in the closet since; except for when I added the PUC and OIF ribbon. As for my BDUs, they have been sitting inside a duffle bag. My Desert uniforms. war souvenirs, and original JSLIST suit from OIF are all inside a bin. I wish I would've kept my personal purchase LCE and Rucksack, but I just wanted to get rid of some stuff and go home.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the service coat, overcoat, rain coat and service cap I was issued in the USAF in 1966. My USNR stuff that's left includes my blues with white had and a white jumper. When I retired from Civil Air Patrol in 1995, I only kept my class A blues with Lt. Col. service cap and a Flight cap. I also kept the two flight jackets I used in CAP and the HGU flying helmet I had when I crewed on an O-1 Bird Dog. I wish I had kept more items from all three outfits

Yes, still have the full service dress even though I retired in 2006. Also have one set of BDUs (the uniform I wore on my final day) and DCUs hanging. And, they all still fit! Everything else fills 4 B-4 bags. Heck, I still have my gas mask, and no desire to see if that still fits....

Randy

Patchcollector

I still have my Cammies and dress uniforms hanging in the closet in my Sons' room,all in sealed garment bags.They have little monetary value,but mean alot to me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to read all of these posts and realize that I'm not alone in hanging on to my uniforms and gear! I was in the Army for 11 years and have been out for just over a year. My ASU is still hanging next to my suits, so is my Class A and a set of ACU's. In a guest bedroom closet I have boxed up all of my BDU's, DCU's, ACU's and Multicam's. Also in the mix are numerous pairs of boots, equipment, helmets, souvenirs, and my combat worn stuff. One day I plan on properly sorting and storing everything, but I haven't brought myself to that point yet. However, I can show my wife these posts so she can see that I'm not a crazy hoarder!

• 6 months later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

The dream to scramble and get my uniforms all set up happens to me. I dream that I'm back at Fort Bragg and running around trying to find uniforms, or that my barracks room is a mess and I'm trying to get it all together. Or that I'm running up the stairs and cannot remember the room I'm in. Or that I'm trying to get on my uniform but am missing pieces or parts and am late for formation. Or th at I missed the PT formation. Trying to go to clothing sales to purchase uniforms that I'm missing.

In reality all my stuff is stowed away including boots, socks, trousers, belts, beret's, caps etc. Jungle Fatigues, BDU's, Class A's, Combat Gear, Rucksack, and other crap. It's all in foot lockers in my closet for some historian to discover in 50 years but in my dreams I have almost nothing and it's all a mess.

Rock

From time to time, I have dreams that I'm called back up and I realized how unfamiliar I am with all the ways the Army has changed since I left active duty in 2001 and the reserves in 2006. Sometimes I have dreams that I'm called back and that I have a very short time to pack as I'm heading to the sand box. Going to war isn't the thing that makes me nervous in those dreams; it's having to tell my wife I've called back up and I'm deploying is the tough part (she hated being an Army officer's wife).

I also have dreams that for some odd reason, I'm back in school going through ROTC again, but as the guy I am now. I'm the type who'll be awake just enough that I'll refuse to accept some dreams because they make no sense (such as, I already was an Army officer and going through ROTC again makes no sense). It's a very odd feeling.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Unrelated to Military is that I spent many years as a LEO and have dreams similar to that. That I report for briefing and take out a car for patrol but always forget that my radio is not on and I don't know what beat I'm on. Then I realize that I'm not a cop anymore and abandon the car where I'm at. Dumb dreams but they happen once a year.

Rock