Date marking on EE-8-B telephone

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

I have an EE-8-B and wanted to know, if and where the contractors date stamp would be. I know there is a plate, but will it have a date reference manufacture?

'Flage Guy

There is a paper tag glued to the main body of the Phone itself near the bottom. You'll have to remove the Phone from the Case to find it.

RustyCanteen

There is a paper tag glued to the main body of the Phone itself near the bottom. You'll have to remove the Phone from the Case to find it.

Yes, usually on each side. It's more of a wiring diagram than manufacturer's marking, although some do include contract information. You probably won't find an exact date.

Five countersunk screws hold the phone mechanism into the case, another two secure the metal reinforcement (where the hand crank goes) and must be taken out. The hand crank unscrews when turned counter-clockwise. Once all seven screws and the crank are off, you should be able to carefully remove the phone from the case. I haven't seen much in the way of markings on the Army-issue EE-8-B phones, but the USMC contracts that I have seen do have the nom# contract marking on the wiring diagram, along with other markings. All the leather cases (Army & USMC) had the same standard Army Signal Corps nomenclature stamped into the front.

RustyCanteen

I should add that the cases were made by different manufacturers from the phones and are sometimes marked on the inside of the flap.

RustyCanteen

Just thinking, if the handset hasn't been swapped over the years you can carefully unscrew the mouth or earpiece and see it there is a month-year date on it.

'Flage Guy

Heh- that's a new one on me...time to dig into the ol' Phones again... :)

I have one of those Marine Phones, too...can't find a date, though:

post-3226-0-14186200-1401507793.jpeg

RustyCanteen

Heh- that's a new one on me...time to dig into the ol' Phones again... :)

I have one of those Marine Phones, too...can't find a date, though:

Yeah the USMC phones don't have a date on the label, but the Nom# is better than nothing.

ub.jpg

The normal Army contract phones on the other hand, seem to be hit or miss when it comes to any reference to a contract date.

u3.jpg

Many of them underwent various MWO's after WWII or MRT/MFP/MFT treatment and will have those markings too.

u1.jpg

RustyCanteen

I've never made a serious study of the EE-8-B's, but the following is a short (incomplete) list of phone and case manufacturers we can build on:

Phones:

Connecticut Telephone & Electric Div.

The Holtzer-Cabot Electric Co. (USMC)

Western Electric Co. (USMC)

Cases:

CNI

Graton & Knight Co.

easterneagle87

Opened up the mouth piece and found a date of MAR 1943. Started to unscrew the leather case, but when it came to the crank, I figured better to be left alone.

It is on that "other auction" site if anyone is interested.

• 2 years later...