Worst military memorial, ever!

jgawne

Just look at it.

I can't paste here, but do a quick search for the new Korean war memorial in Chillicothe, Ohio.

Seriously, it's THAT bad.

Oh, wow. God forbid anyone who actually knows anything about the Korean War should be consulted when building a monument to the Korean War, not when you can cut and past a bunch of "army pictures" on a granite slab and collect your money. A medevac Huey, the Thunderbirds' F-16s, a Desert Storm M-1A1 Abrams, Vietnam GIs on patrol, what a mess.

http://www.break.com/article/korean-war-memorial-full-of-errors-2614969

Garandomatic

Somebody didn't do their homework.

My family does bronze casting for a living, and we have done several memorials, as well as refinishing older memorials for a very large nation-wide company. You should see how crappy the bronzes out of China are in terms of EVERYTHING. Accuracy, quality, artistic quality, just junk.

Buckshot329

That's really, really bad! And like the last sentence in the article of post #3 suggested, I would be pretty angry if I helped raising funds for this!

A sad state of affairs. Knock it down......get the money back.....and re-do it......right in this country. My 2-cents. Bobgee

Great link Jim.Echos my thoughts and Im sure many others thoughts as well.

Saw this earlier today and was a loss for words.

Out Sourceing??What a wonderful thing.In real speak the Company saved a lot for the etching of the stone but collected a huge profit when selling it.

Such a dishonor to all veterans living and past.

What a disgrace.Typical pass the buck and the citiziens who donated to this are hopefuly not going to have to get caught holding the bag on this.A total replacement should be in order.

thefallenbuddha

Actually, I wouldn't blame the company who made it. They are just an engraving company, and are not a historical research firm. I think blaming the company is something of a scapegoat.

I think the people really to blame are the committee members who were responsbile for the memorial and (according to some of the stories online) approved the design before it was manufactured, and....also, regardless,....even after it arrived and they saw it in person (before unveiling it) they still took it all the way to the point of erecting the memorial publicly - not bothering to raise any serious objections/questions.

Garandomatic

As for the above, I recall making a WWII memorial, and the gentleman in charge was in the Korean War. He insisted that several details of the statue had to be Korean-War specific, which was pretty frustrating.

What ever happened to simple, timeless, meaningful monuments. I suspect the next ones will have built in powerpoint shows.

summersdogs

This quote (sanitized for censors' eyes) by Jesus Diaz, author of this blog article, sums up succinctly this travesty of a memorial:

"Whoever was in charge of expelling this graphic gigantic steaming cow patty........."

Lynne

Garandomatic

What ever happened to simple, timeless, meaningful monuments. I suspect the next ones will have built in powerpoint shows.

I imagine the family business could have given them a nice life-sized bronze soldier for about what they paid for that granite monstrosity, and only an hour or so away.

I think the creators of the History Channel's "The World War" also created this Korean War memorial !!

Great pieces of fine workmanship!!

sgtdorango

If i were a rich guy from that area i would pay to have it destroyed and pay to construct a nice appropriate monument....what a bunch of turds, im gonna puke!!!!