Medal of Merit, and a 247th Combat Eng Bn grouping

mvmhm

First is a Medal of Merit I got this morning....although after I got it I realized the enamel wreath is missing or has been removed...still, I got it for a good price.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-46352200-1401317784.jpg

I got a call from a friend who is the head of hospice here. One of her vets died last month, and the family contacted her to ask if she knew what they could do with his uniform - and she put them in touch with me. I made the 1.5 hour drive to Indiana this afternoon and picked up his uniform, pics, and some doco. He was a Purple Heart recipient, but they haven't found any of his medals yet. Hopefully they'll turn up sometime soon as they clean out the house. He enlisted in 1943 and served with the 247th Combat Engineer Battalion. They landed in Normandy on 22 June, fought with XIX Corps and 30th Infantry Division through the Battle of the Bulge. At one point they fought as infantry attacking the Siegfried Line. During the Bulge, they were in the Hurtgenwald preparing roads and bridges for demolition - that's where he was wounded. After his 2nd wife died, he became very active in the American Legion, where he was a Post Commander and the District 10 Commander. Here's Corporal Wallace "Wally" L. Cheesman:

Mark sends

post-3423-0-01628800-1401318190.jpg

His uniform consists of the pants, shirt (with gas flap) and tie, all in very good (albeit musty) condition.

post-3423-0-47659600-1401318241.jpg

I was glad to see his Ike jacket (dated 1944) still had all the original insignia. The ribbon bars are both pin backed.

post-3423-0-06644100-1401318316.jpg

His cap is an Engineer piped officer's quality hat. The dog tags and unused XIX Corps patch were in the pocket. There's no evidence inside the sleeve of the Ike of there ever being an SSI on his right shoulder.

post-3423-0-70185600-1401318480.jpg

..here's his Legion hat bag with his hat...the bag has several pieces of Legion and VFW docos, as well as several cornvention badgers.

post-3423-0-34281900-1401318538.jpg

These were taken in France..the fountain photo says "Reims, France" on the reverse. In the other photo, Wally is on the left.

post-3423-0-01227100-1401318911.jpg

post-3423-0-80531500-1401318920.jpg

I think this is the best picture...taken by a flag pole on Memorial Day 1947 wearing the same uniform.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-18715300-1401319009.jpg

I was pretty happy to see that...after driving an hour and half, I was hoping it wasn't going to be a trip for a stripped uniform...sure hope they find his medals though.

Mark sends

Mark,

I'm glad to see that Cpl. Wally's uniform has a home where it will be honored. Those combat engineers quite often faced just as much danger as any other combat units, but aren't as appreciated as they should be, in my opinion. And you've got everything you need for another torso form, too (display space permitting). I look forward to seeing all the new additions the next time I'm out in Ohio for a visit.

-- Jon

Oh, I've already got it on a dummy and added double buckle boots to it..I want to find a full size mannequin for it because it's just a neat looking jacket.

Mark sends

Winchester, which is a little north of Richmond. He was buried in Union City, OH though.

Mark sends

• 2 months later...

We had a visit yesterday - Wally's step-son. He wanted to see the uniform and told me that they had found his Purple Heart medal AND a German Luger - they had both been put into the things that were being auctioned off. They pulled the medal and gun out of the estate sale, but Wally's nephew laid claim to them. He did find some more pictures and paperwork that he's bringing back, and possible some military items from earlier relatives (circa WWI) and some of his own from Vietnam.

Sure would like to have seen that P08 though!

Mark sends

• 6 years later...
Chris J LaBoda
On 5/28/2014 at 7:12 PM, mvmhm said:

Enlargement showing the Battalion guide-on and Cpl Cheesman I've identified with a white "X".

post-3423-0-72309000-1401318769.jpg

Any chance of getting a scanned copy of the full 247th group photo?

My father John A LaBoda was in the 247th.

Thanks,

Chris J LaBoda