Vietnam era Ranger Company airborne ovals.

Mike34charlie

I love Ranger history. I am looking for references to airborne ovals for Vietnam Ranger Companies. I attached a WWII trimming graphic. I like its simplicity. I did numerous Google searches and could not find anything. There is a store on EBay (rangerjones), that has several. I do not doubt the accuracy. I just can't find a single reference anywhere else. Plus one image with all ovals side by side is best. I really like the posters of Korean RICA and Vietnam Ranger scrolls next to their corresponding attached divisions. Something to that affect with airborne ovals would be great.

Any assistance is appreciated.

post-153070-0-07100600-1401305028.jpg

Here is a start which has black and white photos of some of the LRRP and Ranger Company ovals from the South Vietnam War.

post-1389-0-62474700-1401307105.jpg

triplecanopy

The top row of RANGER parachute ovals are from Vietnam. I served in L Company 75th Infantry Rangers (101st Airborne Division) in 1971. The oval that I wore home is the one in the top left. It is fully embroidered. Naturally we didn't wear class A's much at all, so proper display of insignia and medals was not given a lot of attention until it was time to DEROS (GO HOME). As far as a reference's on ovals, the only one I have is a large book, U.S. Army Patches, Flashes and Ovals, an illustrated encyclopedia of cloth unit insignia by Barry Jason Stein. It is a useful publication for patch identification and has some historical info as well. It is a large book and weighs almost 10 pounds. List price is $69.95 and you can probably find it on Amazon for less. I think I got mine at Leavenworth Bookstore.

Best of luck in your collecting endeavors. All the best,

Robert

post-48217-0-93636100-1401308409.jpg

• 2 months later...
triplecanopy

You might try ASMIC. (American Society of Military Insignia Collectors) I know that they have published some reference works on parachute backgrounds (Ovals) in the past. Perhaps someone on this Forum has the contact info for ASMIC. I am not currently a member.

All the best,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...