Painted M-1938 Tanker's Helmet - Who got it?

gitana

sgtdorango

That is nothing short of amazing!....wish it were me that got it but it wasnt, i never even saw it!.....mike

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

gotta admit i might have to take a nibble at that one, and i'm not a helmet guy, lol!

Yeah, I have GOT to remember to be more cut-throat! It drives me crazy when good stuff disappears before I even get a chance to sneak in an offer.

GeneralCheese

Yeah, I have GOT to remember to be more cut-throat! It drives me crazy when good stuff disappears before I even get a chance to sneak in an offer.

That's just the way the world works! When it comes to securing amazing pieces, you need to do whatever it takes.

I don't even collect tanker helmets (though I will admit I have one coming in the mail, but not this one) and it would go up on my shelf!

M24 Chaffee

I've never seen a painted tanker before. I wonder what that sold for? Pretty amazing!

Glad you saved the picture, I've learned to pull photos as soon as I see them there are a couple of great items that I regret not saving pictures as the auction was pulled.

LF

Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima tells us this belonged most likely if not actually, to a Tanker of the 4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division.

strawberry 9

Yep, I was keeping an eye on this one. I don't think it was even up for a full day. I'm guessing at least $500.

USMC-RECON0321

Yep, I was keeping an eye on this one. I don't think it was even up for a full day. I'm guessing at least $500.

What a shame it was pulled! I hope the seller made a great deal on this. $500 would be a steel for this piece. I think $1000 or up for sure!

Troy

crotalus358

This is only the second example of a painted tanker I've seen - the first simply having the owners name painted in script. Very cool...someone has added a nice, historical piece to their collection.

There was another painted tanker helmet on ebay at the same time, but it appeared to have just a nickname and a tac mark of some kind painted on the front. It also had all of the ventilation holes covered with tape. It sold for $787.

post-41109-0-81121400-1401389225.jpg

Link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-NAMED-WW2-TANKER-HELMET-WITH-HEADSET-amp-PAINTED-FRONT-/271496517090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f367415e2&nma=true&si=uQb8933GWISPK%252FRDajQSXMXkVl0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's just the way the world works! When it comes to securing amazing pieces, you need to do whatever it takes.

I don't even collect tanker helmets (though I will admit I have one coming in the mail, but not this one) and it would go up on my shelf!

well it's the way some people work......

• 1 month later...

I wonder, did the seller decide to send it over to Philip Weiss to have it sold there, or did someone from the company buy it off him just to sell it at auction? I don't know why, but I'm mildly annoyed by the latter possibility.

USMC-RECON0321

This is the second auction this helmet has been in since it was on ebay.

Ray

Ray,

What other auction was it in?

I wonder how many back door dealers this has to go through before a collector finally gets their hands on it?

Ray,

What other auction was it in?

I wonder how many back door dealers this has to go through before a collector finally gets their hands on it?

I didn't save the listing, all I remember is that it was in New York state.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
crotalus358

Crap...I spaced and totally forgot that this ended this afternoon. Anyone here grab it? Hopefully it lands in a good home this time around.

Steve

USMC-RECON0321

Sold for $1350 + 15% buyers premium = $1552.50. I still think that is a fair deal on what this is. It does have research potential with what appears to be a service number on the back. I emailed the original seller on eBay (who ended the auction) about the background story of it. And he told me, he bought it off a family member at a sale, and when other family members found out they demanded it back. So he ended the auction and sold it back to them for what he paid for it. He didn't realize it was put up for auction again after he sold it back to them.