Unissued WW2 Army Mittens and Gloves. Let’s give them a “hand”.

rambob

Mountain Troops

Nice mitten collection.

The mystery mittens are indeed from the "Alaska Clothing List" which was the army's main cold climate clothing group from 1914 until 1940 or 1941. You can find a non-illustrated description of the list in the early editions of the Officer's Guide (e.g., it is on page 125 of the 5th edition).

I believe they are the "Mittens, Duck". I have a photocopy of the 1914 Alaska Clothing List which is illustrated. The duck mittens shown are almost identical to the mystery mittens, but being a Xerox copy the photo is not very clear.

The contract markings support their connection to Alaska because they were purchased by the Seattle QM Depot in 1940. The Seattle QM Depot and the Fort Mason QM Depot (in San Francisco near the Presidio) were the primary supply points for the Alaska garrisons prior to WW II..

Hope this helps...

Michael

Mountain Troops

You're welcome Bob. Glad I could help.

I'm slowing trying to assemble a colllection of Alaska Clothing List items to compare and contrast to my mountain troop collection. At present the collection is small because the items are hard to find and identify but I keep hunting. If you ever decide to part with the second pain of mystery mittens, please let me know. They would be a nice compliment to my 'Parka, Duck, Fur-trimmed.'

Maybe the Alaskas Clothing List would make a good thread topic someday. As a community there are enough examples to make a virtual collection.

Michael

• 5 weeks later...

Well I still don't have the WWII leather Glove-Shells to go into my collection, but up on epay I saw a guy in Greece that had mint M-1949 pattern glove-shells for $19.95 and free shipping. I bit so I could have something close filling that gap in my collection until a WWII pair would come along. OMG I was shocked how nice the pair from Greece was. Mint, still stapled together, the talcum type white powder on the leather and the paper instructions inside one glove. It tickles me that militaria of this quality is still available for a very reasonable price.

Bob

post-299-0-81445100-1405971157.jpg

post-299-0-15800700-1405971166.jpg

post-299-0-03415900-1405971179.jpg

post-299-0-56462600-1405971191.jpg

• 2 years later...
phantomfixer

Old thread revival ...I found these today in a antiques shop...they look like the Arctic mittens...can anyone postively ID? they are marked on the inside but not legible...just a big M for medium

post-155518-0-90613300-1490494601_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-86082300-1490494610_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Jim, regarding your tan mittens, they are CCC issue from the 1930s [part of the blurry contract number reads ECW, which stood for "Emergency Conservation Work". About 1937 or so the CCC contract number format was changed to CIV in place of ECW. I had a similar pair of mittens several years ago with the same markings. Nice stuff as always.