What Is It? Related to VAW-11 Tacron 13

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

I picked up this lot of insignia the other day, but I can't figure out what the turtle patch is. Any thoughts? Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-43481100-1401129648.jpg

post-1800-0-17150600-1401129650.jpg

Johnny Signor

It has a Carrier under him looking something like a skateboard , so carrier related in some way, and could be for the "truculent turtle" op they did with the Old P-2 Neptune .

The image I've seen of it painted on the Neptune is quite a bit different that the patch , I'm thinking possibly a VS/VP unit ...................

Perhaps it has something to do with the Aircraft VAW-11 flew, the VAW-11 Det Q patch is from the early 60's from deployments on the USS Bennington, this squadron had the E-1B's which kind of look like turtles? Although these aircraft were nicknamed Willie Fudd's!

post-582-0-43127400-1401214385.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

I don't know if it helps, but I believe the man flew with or had some affiliation with VC-35 as well. Thanks for the help ABN

He probably flew the AD Skyraider. Both VAW-11 and VC-35 flew the AD.

I still think the patch is related to the Truculent Turtle, possibly related to the P-2 test onboard the CVA-43 Coral Sea.

post-10825-0-62818800-1401242206.jpg

• 6 years later...

The turtle is standing on an angle decked carrier. There were none when the Truculent Turtle did it's thing.