Question about lapel pins - ETO Advanced Base

stratasfan

stratasfan

Hi! I hope this is the right board. I didn't know where the place for posting about DUI pins would be. I came across an auction for a pair of lapel pins that look like the ETO Advanced Base of Operations patch. My Great-Uncle has the patch on his uniform in a photo and I am making a display case about his military time. These are so cool that I have to have one! However, the auction ends in 12 hours, and I wanted some opinions. I've never seen any of these before, only the patches. They are 1/2" and screwbacks. Would these have been worn on a uniform? What would be a good price for these, in someone's opinion? They are at $13 right now. Thanks for any help!

post-151812-0-16481800-1401112303.jpg

post-151812-0-73997600-1401112303.jpg

At 1/2" I think what they are is a lapel pin for civilian post war use. Insignia companies cranked these out trying to cash in on vets who wanted to show what unit they served in. A general size for a DI worn on a uniform is roughly 1". And by the time this insignia started to be used the3 screw back was getting out of style.

While someone, somewhere may have worn these on their uniform, I think they would look weird being so small. As a lapel pin they will probably go for about $10 @, although I suspect these may go higher as people will see two and assume they are some kind of thing worn on the uniform.

Just my opinion and educated guess.

A couple of thoughts.

1. These would have never been worn on e uniform, they are civilian lapel pins that were sold in great numbers after the war to allow the vets to display their unit association.

2 There is a whole section on the Forum that discusses this practice and the many variations that exist.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1445-lapel-buttons-discharge-retirement-for-civilian-clothes/

3. Price may go up as the patch type variations are not a prevalent as say the mighty "Ruptured Duck" .

4. This particular item is being sold by George Harris....it's solid.

Mike

stratasfan

Thanks so much for the info and advice! I really appreciate it. These do seem to be a little hard to find. I couldn't find another. You know . . . I wonder if my Uncle had some? I wish I could talk to him right now! He would probably think that I am crazy for going out and buying his type of insignia and patches, etc!

Sure, remember one of the primary rules about collecting this stuff, read, study ask questions. Then buy.

Mike

stratasfan

Sure, remember one of the primary rules about collecting this stuff, read, study ask questions. Then buy.

Mike

Thanks! I am trying to learn about the different things that I think I want to put in my displays. This forum has been great, as so many people have helped me so far! I am really grateful for all the help!