WIndproof coolness

TrenchfootJoe66

TrenchfootJoe66

The material will feel like friggin butter on a well used set. And that's all I've ever handled.

Your cover looks pretty cool. The stitch holes could be good or bad depending on all the variables. It's tough for me to really tell from your pics as Im on the mobile. At first glance I thought it might have been some of the repro stuff that used to sell on eBay ( not NhayDus stuff but the other guy. ) Remade into a hat. Im not nearly the expert having only had a chance to fully examine one actual set.

But I trust you know enough to tell the differance.

Too bad you missed out on the ERDL covers.

Hi Joe,

One thing I know is it's definetly different than the British windproof fabric. It's not as heavy or as soft. Mind you the set of wwII windproofs I have have been worn and washed so they are soft like sand washed silk. I don't own or have handled any arvn made windproofs so I can't say for sure.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Joe,

I dug out a pair of windproof trousers I own to compare to the hat and it's the same fabric. I didn't realize there were different types within the British ones. Ya learn something new every day.

If this cap's the genuine article and based on Owens insight on what a jacket and pant goes for what do thinks its value would be?

Cheers,

Matt

TrenchfootJoe66

First let me say that Bob or Owen might be better folks to ask. Or Steve (river patrol) as they have handled more Windproof stuff than I.

But if had to take a WAG I would place it in the 400 to 500 range. Considering what a good Tiger Boonie goes for and these are much more rare. Maybe even more like 600. But again Im just guessing based on relative values. But please check w/ others. I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

I sell ALOT of Nam related Militaria and I appreciate you asking. But I just don't see enough Windproof stuff to have a firm grasp.

Hi Joe,

Thats the thing with the really rare stuff that you never see is it's hard to authenticate and value. Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

• 1 month later...

I agree that it's wwII brit windproof fabric but how do you know they are modern made without handling them?

Do you know the person who made it? Have you seen it before?

Cheers,

Matt

Pretty simple

I have been collecting Vietnam headgear for 25 years.

I own hundreds of pieces of headgear and can call a bad hat in about 2 seconds.

I have to say I'm with Owen on this one as well. Would make more sense if it was the earlier baseball type cut as the French wore sometimes (not the Bigeard). Cheap(ish) original windproof pants were around a few years ago - it would not take much for an unscrupulous dealer to cannibalize a pair to make a few caps to sell at a gazillion dollars each. We all know it happens, too often unfortunately. If it's too good to be true - it usually is.

Hi Filupe,

That might be the case if I did buy them for a gazillion dollars but I only payed $40.00 from a vintage dealer in the Chicago area who clearly had no idea what he had. That part doesn't make any sense or fit the fake for big pay scenario.

Cheers,

Matt