My lesson of the day is learning the difference between big fish

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

Let me start by saying that in my youth I spent a good bit of time crabbing on the Chesapeake Bay. However, I was never a fisherman and I truly don't know the difference between a rock fish and a sea bass. For all I know they may even be the same fish. Now you may be wondering what this has to do with US Militaria. Well today I found these two photos at a yard sale and I have since learned a lot about fish.

You see I know a little bit more about WWII Submarines than I do fish but, that really isn't saying very much. With that said what little I did know about subs included the story of the USS Swordfish. So, when I picked up these photos off of a table at a yard sale I assumed that it was the crew of the ill-fated Swordfish and I got rather excited. But as is usually the case I was setting myself up.

When I got home and I did a little research I realized that by comparing the battle flag in the photos I have to ones of the Swordfish on line it was apparent that I had a different sub. I asked myself if it was possibly a marlin on the flag in my photo? So, I looked up the USS Marlin which was in fact also a WWII submarine. But from what I found on line it seems that the Marlin spent her time in the Atlantic and those are definitely Japanese flags on the battle flag in my photo. So, once again I had the wrong sub.

So, there I was, looking at a long list of WWII Subs and picking out all the ones with sea life sounding names. By this point I was rather obsessed so I was also still looking at the difference between a marlin and a swordfish, and why? Just because I just had to know. Then it happened it was like bells and whistles and a light bulb that went off in my head. Its a dang sailfish.

To be honest I have never seen a sailfish in the wild but I should have known what it was. After all my sister just happens to have a huge fiberglass one plastered to her wall at her beach house over in Delaware. But than again I have only been there once or twice or three or four times, okay, possibly more. But hay, who's counting?

With all that said, let me introduce to you the crew of, or at least I believe it is, the USS Sailfish. A sub that served with great distinction during WWII. I apologize for being so long winded and just one question. Does anyone know the significance of the beards and why the crew members that had them were photographed in a photo by themselves?

post-1412-0-59015600-1400966791.jpgpost-1412-0-80968900-1400966797.jpg

Could it be that the crew had just returned from being at sea, and these 9 guys hadn't yet shaved? Maybe it was a "before you shave that off, let me get a picture of you!" kind of photo.

the beard group-shot looks like the photog. picked the crewmen that had the best after-patrol facial hair. note the sailor pointing to his. Would love to see a close-up of the battle flag the "Squailfish" , you could probably pinpoint approximate date with number of vessels sunk on the flag. Great photos.

Manchu Warrior

the beard group-shot looks like the photog. picked the crewmen that had the best after-patrol facial hair. note the sailor pointing to his. Would love to see a close-up of the battle flag the "Squailfish" , you could probably pinpoint approximate date with number of vessels sunk on the flag. Great photos.

The flag in the scanned photo was to to small when I cropped it, so I took the photo outside and took a picture of it. And honestly taking photos is something I have never come close to mastering so this is the best I could do. I also have a question to ask. Am I right to assume that the Japanese flags at the top of the battle flag represent the Japanese naval ships and the ones at the bottom represent the merchants ships that were sunk by the Sailfish? I also much appreciate the link that you posted. Thanks!

post-1412-0-71168400-1401041588.jpg

Top flags would indicate IJN warships and the bottom flags indicate merchant vessels-Sailfish claimed 20-vessels sunk or damaged for 80,000-plus tons. The figure was reduced to 7-vessels sunk for a total of 45,000-plus tons. I don't know the particulars of the reduction, though I'm sure it was from the JANAC (Joint Army Navy Assessment Committee). A lot of boats got screwed over by JANAC. A good example is William Post who spent most of his time commanding the Gudgeon-was fifth on the score list with 19-vessels sunk. JANAC reduced that number to 8-1/2-vessels- plunging (pun intended) Post to 34th.

• 2 weeks later...
Manchu Warrior

Top flags would indicate IJN warships and the bottom flags indicate merchant vessels-Sailfish claimed 20-vessels sunk or damaged for 80,000-plus tons. The figure was reduced to 7-vessels sunk for a total of 45,000-plus tons. I don't know the particulars of the reduction, though I'm sure it was from the JANAC (Joint Army Navy Assessment Committee). A lot of boats got screwed over by JANAC. A good example is William Post who spent most of his time commanding the Gudgeon-was fifth on the score list with 19-vessels sunk. JANAC reduced that number to 8-1/2-vessels- plunging (pun intended) Post to 34th.

I appreciate the info. Thanks!

wow really awesome find!!!

I love the beard shot.

if you ever decide to move these photos let me know.

thanks,

-Brian

Manchu Warrior

wow really awesome find!!!

I love the beard shot.

if you ever decide to move these photos let me know.

thanks,

-Brian

I will keep you in mind.

CHASEUSA11B

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I always love ww2 group shots. Its interesting to see the variety of uniforms as well as the types of men who served.